IBM Tape Device Driver for Windows 2008 Server

Nana

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi,

Has anybody seen this before;

Im trying to install IBMTape.x64_w08_6201 device drivers on Windows 2008 server and it fails to install. I'm using install_exclusive for TSM and it looks as if it's installing but then terminates with the following error message;

Failed to install/update the changer bus enumerator.

TSM Environment;
AIX TSM Server Vs5420
IBM3584 Tape Library
LTO_3 Tape Drives
Windows 2008 Client

Thanks,
Nana

Same problem

Did you ever find a solution to this?

I have tried to install this on a new x3500 with Windows Server 2008 x64. The tape drive (IBM HH LTO-2) shows up in other devices. Then I tried to install the same tape driver package as you did and it fails at exactly the same point. Haven't tried the 32bit driver, but I thought I would try it before I install the 32bit version of Windows Server '08.

Found the solution

Hi, I had this problem last night if you seleted what executable you want to install, then right had click and select "Run as Administrator"If you just want to use the options I found you have to create a "cmd" or "bat" file to run the what executable with the options defined and then run this file by right hand clicking on the file and selecting "Run as administrator"I am also having issues around Drive paths disappearing and reappearing but the Tape Library stays on line. Might be Mulitpath I/O issue.Michael

Any other solution discovered?

Hi!

How did you other guys finally solve it?

I'm experiencing the very same problem. When I try to install the IBM Driver package on a Windows 2008 x64 it fails. It all started after a Firmware upgrade of the library. (I have installed the driver and same model of FC connected library (TS3200) in other Win2k8-x64 environments so I know it works.)

Output of the progress:

C:\INSTALL\IBMFirmware\DevDriver>install_exclusive.exe
Running installation application, version 6.2.0.3.

Preparing system for driver installation...
Uninstalling existing medium changers...
Existing medium changers successfully uninstalled.
Uninstalling existing tape drives...
Existing tape drives successfully uninstalled.
Installing/updating the changer bus enumerator...
Failed to install/update the changer bus enumerator.
Exiting application.
Program stopped prematurely due to error(s).
If the debug flag was set, check debug.txt for details.
C:\INSTALL\IBMFirmware\DevDriver>

The short story is that the library was installed with driver and all. TSM reported I/O error when trying to write to the drives. IBM wanted me to upgrade the Firmware on both the library and drives. Then this issue started. The "Changer bus enumerator" or "Tape bus enumerator" isn't visible in Windows Device Manager any more.

I've tried with a total uninstall of all components, enabled/disabled multipath I/O, using the old drivers and run the installation as administrator. Still the same result.

Greatful for any assistance, thanks!
/Patrik

whats the debug logfiles output?

Program stopped prematurely due to error(s).
If the debug flag was set, check debug.txt for details.

Device Drivers for TSM

I have had similar problems at various customer sites.
I have put in 6.2.0.3 and it appears that the drivers for the medium changer and drives goes in ok. However I go to device manager to verify this and I see different things depending on what library I am dealing with. For example on TS3500 and TS3100 I have seen the Medium Changer go to the correct driver at 6.2.0.3. When I get to the tape drives I see the previous level (ie. 6.1.8.9).
I have had to force the drivers in, even though I have tried the Install_Exclusive and the Install_Nonexclusive.
Yes the RSM is disabled and everything should work.
Once I get the drivers up to spec, I start getting I/O errors from TSM.
I once tried to downlevel the Tape Drivers to 6.1.8.9 or 6.1.9.7 and the I/O errors went away. Note it is not recommended that you run different levels of drivers.
It is strange that this has started to happen. Firmware levels of the various libraries have been from Current to 4 levels back.

One way I got around some of these errors was to:
1) Remove the drivers. you moved your mouse so Reboot.
2) Install the drivers, Reboot.
3) Check the drivers, Reboot.
4) It's Windows, so Reboot again, just for fun.

Make sure TSM is DOWN before you do anything with the drivers, even on the Lanfree clients (put the Storage Agent on the Lanfree client in Disabled or Manual mode until all drivers are in, return the Storage Agent to Auto when all is well).

whats the debug logfiles output?

[/color][/font]

The "interesting" part of the debug is:
Code:
ENT: -2 -> -1: install_exclusive.c, 865: InstallVirtualBusByType
DBG:         install_exclusive.c, 877: InstallVirtualBusByType: inf file - changer bus: C:\INSTALL\IBMFirmware\DevDriver\ibmcgbs.inf
DBG:         install_exclusive.c, 880: InstallVirtualBusByType: Calling InstallVirtualBus.
ENT: -1 -> 0: install_exclusive.c, 1074: InstallVirtualBus: inf file: C:\INSTALL\IBMFirmware\DevDriver\ibmcgbs.inf
DBG:         install_exclusive.c, 1093: InstallVirtualBus: szBuffer: root\ibmcgbs2k8
DBG:         install_exclusive.c, 1097: InstallVirtualBus, calling UpdateDriverForPlugAndPlayDevices.
DBG:         install_exclusive.c, 1107: InstallVirtualBus: status 0xe0000235.
DBG:         install_exclusive.c, 1239: InstallVirtualBus: UpdateDriverForPlugAndPlayDevices failed - Update.
EXT: 0 -> -1: install_exclusive.c, 1249: InstallVirtualBus: status 0xe0000235.
DBG:         install_exclusive.c, 885: InstallVirtualBusByType: InstallVirtualBus failed.
DBG:         install_exclusive.c, 886: InstallVirtualBusByType: status 0xe0000235.
EXT: -1 -> -2: install_exclusive.c, 901: InstallVirtualBusByType: status 0xe0000235
DBG:         install_exclusive.c, 266: main: status 0xe0000235.
EXT: -2 -> -3: install_exclusive.c, 276: main: Program stop time: Wed Nov 25 16:43:31 2009
Rallingham: Will try that, thanks!

Ok,

I've tried the way with manual driver installation (using the 6.2.0.3 and 6.2.0.2 driver, the latter which worked before the Firmware upgrade). It fails with that the library gets marked vith a yellow exclamation mark . I have a feeling it's due to the "Changer bus enumerator" isn't installed.

Thanks for the ideas anyhow...

Solution found!

The solution to the problem is now found. We tried to install the WHQL driver from IBM. It worked, the "changer bus enumerator" and drivers got installed just fine and everything works as it should.

I have to come back because we are facing similar problems with windows server 2008 sp2 x64.

following procedure was taken:
1) uninst.exe
2) show hidden/ghost devices in windows device manager and delete ANY IBM tape & medium changer drivers from the system
3) reboot
4) run install_exclusive (cmd run as admin...)
5) reboot
6) first time it seems that the drivers are applied successfully but after several reboots the driver gets 'lost' again and a std mircrosoft driver is loaded.

IBM support told me to shut down/disconnect the library & to power off TSM - is that really the solution? In my eyes it's not ...

I've found following article posted 03/2010 for windows server 2000:
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docvi...uid=swg21144274&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&lang=en+en

does someone know if this is also affecting w2008?
removing the windows std driver will sure force the ibm driver to be loaded but I think it should be possible for IBM to provide a working solution...

thanks for your suggestions.

Last edited:
dear all, we have some problems that once we reboot the device driver of the drives get lost and the std microsoft driver is loaded.
this is because the tape device drivers we are using "IBMTape.x64_w08_6215" are not Microsft certified. We are on windows 2008 SP2 64bit and we wanted to try the WHQL device drivers but I cannot install them.
debug.txt is saying the following:

Code:
DBG:         install_exclusive.c, 1464: InstallDriver: Searching for tape drive IDs.
DBG:         install_exclusive.c, 1468: InstallDriver: Calling UpdateDriverForPlugAndPlayDevices for drive ReferenceNum = 1
DBG:         install_exclusive.c, 1477: InstallDriver: status 0xe000020b.
DBG:         install_exclusive.c, 1481: InstallDriver: UpdateDriverForPlugAndPlayDevices no such drive ReferenceNum = 1
DBG:         install_exclusive.c, 1468: InstallDriver: Calling UpdateDriverForPlugAndPlayDevices for drive ReferenceNum = 2
DBG:         install_exclusive.c, 1481: InstallDriver: UpdateDriverForPlugAndPlayDevices no such drive ReferenceNum = 2
DBG:         install_exclusive.c, 1468: InstallDriver: Calling UpdateDriverForPlugAndPlayDevices for drive ReferenceNum = 3
DBG:         install_exclusive.c, 1481: InstallDriver: UpdateDriverForPlugAndPlayDevices no such drive ReferenceNum = 3
DBG:         install_exclusive.c, 1468: InstallDriver: Calling UpdateDriverForPlugAndPlayDevices for drive ReferenceNum = 4
DBG:         install_exclusive.c, 1481: InstallDriver: UpdateDriverForPlugAndPlayDevices no such drive ReferenceNum = 4
DBG:         install_exclusive.c, 1468: InstallDriver: Calling UpdateDriverForPlugAndPlayDevices for drive ReferenceNum = 5
DBG:         install_exclusive.c, 1481: InstallDriver: UpdateDriverForPlugAndPlayDevices no such drive ReferenceNum = 5
DBG:         install_exclusive.c, 1468: InstallDriver: Calling UpdateDriverForPlugAndPlayDevices for drive ReferenceNum = 6
DBG:         install_exclusive.c, 1481: InstallDriver: UpdateDriverForPlugAndPlayDevices no such drive ReferenceNum = 6
DBG:         install_exclusive.c, 1468: InstallDriver: Calling UpdateDriverForPlugAndPlayDevices for drive ReferenceNum = 7
DBG:         install_exclusive.c, 1481: InstallDriver: UpdateDriverForPlugAndPlayDevices no such drive ReferenceNum = 7

the windows server sees the drives in device manager and I can install the std device drivers but not the WHQL ones (IBMTape.x64_w08_6215_LTO3-5_Tape_Drive_Cert".
On the VTL side we are emulating LTO3 so should be the correct driver and I uninstalled all other drivers before and also cleanup the "hidden devices" before and rebooted also...

anyone got a WHQL driver running on windows 2008 sp2 64bit??

your help is really appreciated! thx

Hi,

Hopefully someone ever experience this problem. We are using TS3100 with two drive and tape library connect direct to server with FC. Driver Installation went smoothly and not shown any error messages but only shown Tape Drive 3580, usually after installation IBM driver it will shown at least two (Medium Changer and Tape Drive).

Below is TSM Environment :
TSM Server @ Windows Server 2008 x64
TS 3100 with 2 HH LTO 5 Drive
TSM BA @ Windows Server 2003.

Thanks.

I recently had this problem with tape firmware c7q1. The fix was a hot release firmware revision from IBM.

I have an issue where I installed the IBM drivers and it worked for a few days then all my tapes started being written to then would get I/o errors across all of the drives, and they would only have a small utilization on them. I have done all the uninstall via device manager and uninstall via IBM exe and reboot I have tried old drivers new drivers and still can't get it to work on a windows 08 server.

Back