I/O Error when trying to bring tape drives online

archon888

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My IBM 3583 has 2 LTO-3 Fiber Drives.

Recently, no backups are taking place because these drives show as Offline when a query path command is run.

I have tried to set them as Online via the update path command, and the console monitor returns an I/O error.

I am running TSM 5.3 on Redhat ES 3 Taroon Update 4.

I am trying to determine whether this is a problem with a TSM config, Redhat itself, or the Tape Library...

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Clarification: My initial problem is "Server media mount not possible" when clients attempt to back up.

If you still have the problem, can you post your upd path command you are using? I've managed to get io errors before by not quite getting the command right.

you can try deletint and recreat the path,

I remember I got this type of trouble, i got ride of it by deleting the Path and the drives (also) necause the "Home Elements" was changed

hope it s not your case

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>

If you still have the problem, can you post your upd path command you are using? I've managed to get io errors before by not quite getting the command right.</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Heheheh... I finally figured that out myself. I guess this has all been for the best, since I ended up doing a LOT of learning in this whole process...

But, basically, the problem was that at the end of my update (well, in the end, DEFINE path since I'd ended up deleting it out of desperation!) path statement had one character capitalized that was not before. /dev/IBMTape0 should have been /dev/IBMtape0. I can't believe I jacked that up as many times as I did, but as soon as I typed it right, it came up fine.

Still unsure as to why the paths went offline at all... but at least they are working now!

Thank you all for your time, maybe I can actually help out around here sometime soon, I'm going to work on my TSM cert since someone here needs to know what we are doing with this bad boy!

:)

Yes, I did too: IBMTape0 not IBMtape0

I got RHEL/TSM 3581with SCSI and path went to offline. In log was an error ANR8302 (and tapelabel). I used IBMtapeutil and found that tape still in drive not in home but 3581'lcd not showed any error. Moved (with IBMtapeutil) tape from drive to home and update path went to right.

In RHEL /var/log there were errors , how to interpret?

Balazs :-o

Back