I/O error reading label for volume in drive

Nhut

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Dear TSMers,

I got the issue when using new tape, my library is IBM TS3200, TSM Version 6.2. I researched in the forum, but might be this thread is difference.

I have 3 new tapes (IBM LTO5), go to http://php.kelvin.nu/software/barcode/ to create new barcode

Put 3 new tapes in library (TS3200 recognize the new barcode well, example DDLD01L5, DDLD02L5, DDLD03L5)
Then, i did label and check in tape: my procedure is:
1) Put each tape to IO slot (do with each tape)
2) checkin libvolume <LIBNAME> DDLD01L5 status=private checklabel=barcode
3) Of course, reply a request as required (reply <number>)
4) define volume <VOLNAME> DDLD01L5 access=readwrite

Successfully check in, next, query q vol, i can see that media in volume with readwrite status. But, when did a backup to tape, i got the error:

ANR8355E I/O error reading label for volume DDLD01L5 in drive BI1 (\\.\Tape2). (SESSION: 1363)
ANR8381E LTO volume DDLD01L5 could not be mounted in drive BI1 (\\.\Tape2). (SESSION: 1363).
ANR1402W Mount request denied for volume DDLD01L5 - volume unavailable. (SESSION: 1363)
ANR1410W Access mode for volume DDLD01L5 now set to "unavailable". (SESSION: 1363)

I research in the forum and gg, most answer is about label, to fix the label... If lable lead to that error, so why my check in tasks be successful?
Any ideas to point out the problem be appreciated. Thank you

Nhut

Dear TSMers,

1) Put each tape to IO slot (do with each tape)
2) checkin libvolume <LIBNAME> DDLD01L5 status=private checklabel=barcode
Nhut

For new tape you should do a checkin as scratch
checkin libvolume <LIBNAME> DDLD01L5 status=scratch checklabel=barcode

For brand new tapes, they need to be labeled. This where TSM writes the tape label onto the tape media. Brand new tapes (or re-purposed) should be checked in as follows:

Code:
label libv <library name> search=bulk labels=barcode overwrite=yes checkin=scratch

This will look at the physical label on the front of the tape and write that on the actually tape media.

When you ran your checkin command (checkin libvolume <LIBNAME> DDLD01L5 status=private checklabel=barcode), you have told TSM not to read the label written on the tape media but use the physical label. This is why it worked. When TSM tried to use the tape, it couldn't find the tape label written on the media and it gave an IO error as it assumes that there is a problem with the tape as the label cannot be read. In this case, the label didn't exist because of the way the brand new tape had been checked in.

Hope this helps.

Thank you Fidel and DazRaz, especially the explanation.
The problem be solved.

Thanks

Back