HSM reactivation problem

rallingham

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
http
I ran into an issue last night when a customer was upgrading their OS from solaris 9 to solaris 10. I did the usual things so that there would be no problems, backing up data, saving config files etc. When the upgrade was complete and the TSM BAC/HSM installed I got the following error when I tried to reactivate HSM.

ANS9511E dsmmigfs: cannot read DM attributes on session 3 for
file: name = /filespacename/.SpaceMan/dmiFSState handle = 0000000001ff02ff-0000000e01ff1000-000000002dffff3d-0000010000000000
token = DM_NO_TOKEN. Reason : No such file or directory
ANS9155E dsmmigfs: cannot reactivate space management for file system /filespacename: No such file or directory.
ANS9075W dsmmigfs: error reactivating space management for file system /filespacename.

This one really has me stumped. I have a ticket open but no one has gotten back to me yet and this problem is driving me nuts.
Anyone have anything to offer on this? Anything is better than where I am now.

Veritas was not part of my thing to do, but I did find out they did install VxFS but it seems it was the wrong version. This was actually a fresh install of the OS and all the data was on the SAN. They told me they used some automatic install feature for Solaris that put in V5.1 when it should have been down around V4.x. We will be trying again shortly and I am a little concerned about the fresh install and if the SAN disk will be accessible after the upgrade, and hopefully the correct version of VxFS goes in and HSM will be reactivated.

Well, VxFS is a prerequisite for HSM to work on Solaris....either 4.1 or 5.0 depending on the HSM client version. Not sure if it's part of the OS installable package, though. I believe it's a separate install.

HSM volume cloning gone wrong.

Over the weekend, I was attempting an /hsm volume migration from our IBM SAN to our new EMC SAN. I created the disk and created a VxFS volume. With the help of a vendor, we performed a vxdump of the original /hsm volume to the new volume.

We unmounted /hsm and then mounted the new disk as /hsm. We then received an ANS9511E dsmautomig: cannot read DM attributes on session C for file: name= /hsm/.SpaceMan/dmiFSstate handle = (some long string) token = DM_NO_TOKEN. Reason: No such file or directory.

We confirmed that there was the same number of files on both volumes as well. We were able to revert back to the original /hsm volume and resume operations.

Has anyone successfully migrated HSM volumes from one SAN to another?

Back