HSM Quick Guide

tucker77

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a quick guide setup for HSM? Im looking for something that walks you through a typical HSM setup....

Thanks!

Make sure that the TSM server's MC has its space management technique set to AUTOMATIC or SELECTIVE.

HSM for AIX Quick Set up Guide:

HSM is available for file systems only.

AS ROOT

1. Add these line to the TOP of the dsm.sys file located in /usr/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin directory.
*HSM Configuration
DEFAULTServer TSM_SERVER
CHECKThresholds 2 * Checks every 2 minutes
CANDIDATESInterval 12 * Checks for file candidates every 12 minutes
RECOncileinterval 12 * Automatic Reconciliation every 12 hours
MINMIGFILESize 8192 * Minimun File size for migration candidates
MINRECALLdaemons 5 * Minimum # of recall daemons to bring back files
MAXRecalldaemons 15 * Maximum # of recall daemons to bring back files
KERNelmessages no * Displays HSM related messages during processing

At the command line, add /home to be space managed:
2. dsmmigfs add /home -si=0

3. Your Done!

To see what you added type: dsmmigfs query /home

root@HOSTNAME:/ >dsmmigfs query /home
IBM Tivoli Storage Manager
Command Line Space Management Client Interface
Client Version 5, Release 3, Level 2.0
Client date/time: 05/02/07 10:49:38
(c) Copyright by IBM Corporation and other(s) 1990, 2005. All Rights Reserved.

File System High Low Premig Age Size Quota Stub Server
Name Thrshld Thrshld Percent Factor Factor Size Name

/home 90 80 10 1 0 128 4096 UX-TRSQ-SYS

When the high threshold(%) is reached files that are candidates are migrated until the low threshold(%) is reached.
The premig percentage controls premigration of additional files after the threshold completes. So in the above, 10%
of the occupied space on your file system is premigrated. The age and size factors determine the order in which eligible files migrate to TSM. Above, age is considered before size. To change this type:

dsmmigfs update /home -a=1 -si=1 -a=0

Quota is the maximum number of megabytes that can be migrated. Stub Size can not be lower than file system fragment size.
Server Name is your TSM migration server.

To get a listing of options type: dsmmigfs

To migrate a file on demand type:
dsmmigrate <path to FILE> (Pick a file larger than your stub file size)
dsmmigrate /home/blahblahblah/software/xlc.rte.aix50.feb2007.ptf.tar.Z

IM JUST GIVING BACK TO THE COMMUNITY!

I HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE ELSE.

A "Quick Guide to HSM" sounds like "Quick Guide to Lion Taming" or "How to do brain surgery on yourself in 3 easy to follow lectures". ;)

PJ
(Yeah - it bit my head off once)

Hmmmm....So what do you think of the 'Quick Guide' here?

I wasn't referring to the quick guide tucker posted - I'm sure its all right and will work. What didn't concern me enough when I first implemented HSM was not how to set it up but the potential army of serious snags protruding from the concept itself. I dug a deep dark whole for myself once that was simply triggered by a user issuing a perfectly vanilla "grep" command on her NFS mount. This is not to discourage anybody from using HSM - we do successfully in a range of solutions around here - but there's very few things I've come to testing that excessively or aggressively paranoid as HSM and the possibilities floating even remotely around the users and applications using it. Just be aware... (jeez... sounding like my mother when I got my first motorcycle ;) )

PJ

Back