HP/UX problems.

bentman78

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I'm trying to start the DSM Scheduler on a HP/UX server and I'm having som problems.
I enter the command:
sudo /usr/bin/nohup /opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsmc sched >/dev/null 2>&1
and put in the credentials. However a ps-ef | grep dsm returns nothing. I'm not seeing anything in the error logs either. I'm not a big user of HP/UX and any hep would be appreciated. Thanks.

Don't you have a startup script to do this? Does your sudo rule say nopasswd for the that command?

I'm thinking your command and request for credentials via sudo are going into the background before you can enter them with the command syntax.

I'm trying to start the DSM Scheduler on a HP/UX server and I'm having som problems.
I enter the command:
and put in the credentials. However a ps-ef | grep dsm returns nothing. I'm not seeing anything in the error logs either. I'm not a big user of HP/UX and any hep would be appreciated. Thanks.

Did you configure the sudo tu run just the nohup command or you configured it to run also the /opt/...../dsmc command?

If you do also the second, try to run the sudo /opt/..../dsmc sched command to get interactive and see if any error apears. If nothing is showed, try to verify the messages of the system looking form sudo warnings.

Did you configure the sudo tu run just the nohup command or you configured it to run also the /opt/...../dsmc command?

If you do also the second, try to run the sudo /opt/..../dsmc sched command to get interactive and see if any error apears. If nothing is showed, try to verify the messages of the system looking form sudo warnings.

sudo /opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsmc sched contacts the server. I have access to nohup. It's just when I try to start the process myself.

bump..
No one knows? I hate calling support because their UNIX help has never helped me.

What I would do is add the command to one of the init levels (init 2 or 5) so that it starts on boot. Since the init level runs as root, you don't have to use sudo.

-Aaron

What's showing up in your dsmwebcl.log? By default it goes to the baclient bin directory.

If you don't see something like this, you should check your configuration.

bash-3.00# tail /opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsmwebcl.log
09/11/08 09:27:40 (dsmcad) Command will be executed
in 9 hours
and 38 minutes.
09/11/08 09:27:40 (dsmcad) Time remaining until execution:
09/11/08 11:41:20 (dsmcad) IBM Tivoli Storage Manager
09/11/08 11:41:20 (dsmcad) Client Acceptor - Built Nov 28 2006 09:16:51
09/11/08 11:41:20 (dsmcad) Version 5, Release 4, Level 0.0
09/11/08 11:41:20 (dsmcad) Dsmcad is working in Webclient mode.
09/11/08 11:41:20 (dsmcad) ANS3000I HTTP communications available on port 1581.
09/11/08 11:41:20 (dsmcad) ANS3000I TCP/IP communications available on port 63104.
bash-3.00#

You might also see something in /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log

I enter the command:

Add a & at the end, need to have sudo (nopasswd) access though for dsmc, or at least run a sudo -l first.

sudo /usr/bin/nohup /opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsmc sched >/dev/null 2>&1 &

Back