How would I move backed up data from a client from one TSM Server to another?

tsmhelum

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hello All,

Not sure if I put this question under the correct section but here goes

I have a question

Say you have 4 TSM SERVERS and a client had a node he wanted put on a particular TSM server say TSM Server (A) and it was accidently put on the wrong TSM server will call it TSM Server (B). Then the next day or so you noticed it was registered on the wrong server or he/she changed their mind and wanted it put on the other TSM Server what would be the best approach to move the already backed up data? Just remove that node from the TSM Server A and register it on TSM Server B the Correct one? What about the data that was backed up the night before or nights how would you move it or should I say the filespaces? to the Correct TSM Server?

Sorry if this is a simple question and It is probably has a simple answer. I just have to ask because it was pose to me and I have never had to deal with this type situation before.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Tsmhelum, unless you need to keep the first backup I would simply re-register the node to the correct TSM server and delete the node's sched, clopt & filespaces on the wrong TSM server, followed by 'rem node'. Update the Client to point at the correct server.
If you need to retain the backup already taken, AND you're running Interserver comms I would use 'export node' but read the help on it as there are quite a few constraints & criteria that come into play.
Hope that helps.

If you need to keep the data, export/import. If you don't want to keep the data, just delete the existing node and its data and register it on the new server.

-Aaron

Thanks for your Responses Cloudrider and Aaron! they are of much help I appreciate it.

Back