How to use tdposync in RMAN backups and what is the purpose of it?

helmsdeep

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Have a great day ahead....

I have a doubt regarding the restoration of RMAN backup taken from one client onto a different client at different location.

My Setup:-

Primary Location:
TSM 5.5.3 Server Version
TS3584 Tape Library
Client n Server OS: AIX 5.3
Client hostname:bgl-svr-blcs-01-db
Client ip: 10.16.54.73

DR Location:
TSM 5.5.3 Server Version
TS3584 Tape Library
Client n Server OS: AIX 5.3
Client hostname:pun-svr-blcs-01-db
Client ip: 10.19.54.53

i have a node in my primary location with ip 10.16.54.73 and hostname as BGL-SVR-BLCS-01-DB which has TDPO installed. We take RMAN backups for this node regularly onto our Tape library in our primary location through SAN.

Now the requirement states that we connect this node to our DR location TSM server and take a RMAN backup through LAN onto DR Tape Library.

So i connected this node BGL-SVR-BLCS-01-DB to DR TSM server and fired a backup onto tape library using RMAN scripts. Now we have a successful database copy at DR site from 10.16.54.73. Now i want to restore this RMAN backup onto spare server in DR which has the same setup as primary server with different ip 10.19.54.53 and hostname as PUN-SVR-BLCS-01-DB.

so i logged in into 10.19.54.53 spare server.

bash# su - oracle
bash# export ORACLE_SID=FXCS1 (connected to database)
bash# rman target /
RMAN> list backup summary; (shows nothing??? i taught backup taken from primary location onto DR tape library can be seen here?may be i am wrong?)

1. Now using which commands can i restore the primary location database which is present at DR site onto DR spare server?

2. I see a utility "tdposync" in /usr/tivoli/tsm/client/oracle/bin64.
Can i use this utility to sync the database of primary and DR location??

3. I know that using "dsmc virtualnode" for ba client u can restore the backup. But for RMAN how do we do it? and how to bring backup from 10.16.54.73 to 10.19.54.53 and make the restoration successful?

Please tell me how to proceed with this as i am totally confused and finding it difficult to understand why is backup copy taken from primary location not getting displayed on DR spare server? should i make any configuration changes in tdpo.opt or dsm.sys or dsm.opt for 10.19.54.53?

Please guide me.

Thanks and Regards,
Helmsdeep.

Hi Guys,

Did anybody understand what i said or should i reframe it?

No reply from anybody.... :-(

Am i the only one who is facing such problem... or anybody faced with this problem before???

Please Help....

So I connected this node BGL-SVR-BLCS-01-DB to DR TSM server and fired a backup onto tape library using RMAN scripts. Now we have a successful database copy at DR site from 10.16.54.73. Now I want to restore this RMAN backup onto spare server in DR which has the same setup as primary server with different ip 10.19.54.53 and hostname as PUN-SVR-BLCS-01-DB.

What you are saying is that you want to restore RMAN backup files to the DR TSM server, is this correct?

If this what you are saying:

- check the Oracle setup
- the TDP for Oracle configurations MUST match the original Oracle server
- the RMAN DB server must be up and running at the DR site

Last edited:
tdposync synchronises TSM with the entries in the RMAN database. Datasets that does not exist in RMAN will be inactivted/deleted from TSM during synchronisation.
It is a one way process, you can not feed data to RMAN this way.
As moon-buddy says then name in tdpo.opt must be the same as the original oracle server. I have not tried to use a proxy for this, only for DB2.

When doinga DR test offsite you must make sure that your RMAn database is availabel on the offsite location. Maybe you should ask the DBAs to test a DR of
this RMAN server as well ;)

Helmsdeep;
To answer the original question - TDPOSYNC - is just what is says = it keep Rman catalog and TSM DB Oracle node file space contents in sync. With cross check enabled and with backdel=yes enabled - you should never have to run this command. But on occasion it is necessary as you will notice you are running out of disk space. TDPOSYNC -connects to Oracle itself - when executing you must be the Oracle ID as TDPOSYNC will ask you for Oracle DB access questions only the Oracle ID can answer. Depending on how out of sync you are with TSM the longer it takes and you will be able to see a significant change in capacity and performance.
TDPOSYNC is bound to the node listed in the tdpo.opt file and TSM node definition.

Hope this helps

Back