How to use secondary NIC/IP on Data Mover for transferring backup data

vkky2k

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Let's say I have a data mover called tsmdm1.abc.com, and the primary ip is x.x.x.x.
Now, If I have second NIC with IP y.y.y.y , and I want the all backup data go through the second IP y.y.y.y, how can I achieve that?
Thanks!

The short answer is no, can not be done via the application.
Check with the network admin to add a default route for a particular IP/subnet that uses the secondary IP.
If the application is running within a virtual machine, bind the VM to a specified interface. This is all networking, OSI model

Good Luck,
Sias

Thank you for your message!

It is VM.

The network I wanted to bind is a Layer2 network. Once I use it, the backup and restore GUI which is based on DM (my understanding) can only be accessed by client interfaces in the Layer2, not routerble network, would that cause any issues? I can create a layer2 network in the TSM server as well, to have them all connected, if needed.

The network I wanted to bind is a Layer2 network.
"...Layer2 network." Not sure what exactly that you are referring to.
If it is the 7 Layers of the OSI model, network is the 3d layer.

...can only be accessed by client interfaces in the Layer2,.not routerble network, would that cause any issues?
This I would not know. Some else would have to answer this question.
If you encounter some information where the data mover can not communicate with the TSM Server via routable network. Not sure what IBM TSM documentation have this information. If its documented, then bad news, it can not be done. If you are able to get it to work, the results are unknown and unsupported by IBM.
If you have a test system, can test this out to confirm this is the case.

... can create a layer2 network in the TSM server as well..
As per the 7 Layers of the OSI model, the TSM Server and B/A Client work at the application layer.
With the TSM Server there is not a parameter to be set to use a second NIC card.
All the configuration is done at the network layer.
No need to take my word, here is the URL that list all options that can be set in the dsmserv.opt file

Also, here is a list of all the DEFINE command for the SP Server.

Note: As per the 7 Layers of the OSI model, the TSM application works at the application layer.

Good Luck,
Sias

Let's say I have a data mover called tsmdm1.abc.com, and the primary ip is x.x.x.x.
Now, If I have second NIC with IP y.y.y.y , and I want the all backup data go through the second IP y.y.y.y, how can I achieve that?
Thanks!

When you say "I wand all the backup data go through y.y.y.y" are you referring to communication with TSM/SP server? If so, yes, this will work without problems as long as:
1) TSM/SP server has a NIC from the same subnet
2) You define that TSM/SP IP from y.y.y.y subnet in datamover config file in TCPSERVERADDRESS

Regarding TSM VMware UI - webserver on port 9081 on the datamover (if this is windows), if that's what you mean by "backup and restore GUI", that I believe will work on both NICs. Routed one will be accessible as it was previously, while y.y.y.y will be accessible from the same subnet.

If by "I wand all the backup data go through y.y.y.y" you are referring to communication between DM and a vCenter, then your vCenter management will also have to have an IP address from that y.y.y.y subnet so they can communicate through that NIC. Otherwise, the communication from vCenter to DM will use primary routed NIC, while DM to SP communication will flow through non-routed, L2 NIC.

Great! Those are what I am looking for. A couple of follow-ups if you can please bear with me.

1. TCPSERVERADDRESS in dm.sys on DM now specified TSM server name which is DNS name for the primary connection(x.x.x.x). If I need DM to connect to the the other network (y.y.y.y: Layer2), I need to change the name to secondary DNS name for TSM server here. Correct?

2. Upon my understanding, DM retrieve backup data(vmdk data) from Datastore mounted on ESXi and then send to TSM server. Will VMCHost in dm.sys be the one to specify which network should I use for doing this? Should I then use the DNS secondary name for VMCHost for using secondary network? I am not clear on how should I tell ESXi hosts to use the secondary network. The NIC for y.y.y.y has been already set up on hosts.

3. Anything else I need to do on TSM server or ESXi hosts, other than just need the NIC configured on them?

Thanks!

1. Yes, correct. You can use DNS name that will point to y.y.y.y L2 interface that TSM is listening on, or an IP address, it is irrelevant

2. There are different transport methods that datamover can use. Ideally you want to use hotadd which is the fastest. In that case, vmchost is used to login, get the list of VMs, instruct the vCenter to create a snapshot and then mount the base vmdk to DM VM and then DM will send the data to SP server (will hit the tcpserveraddress as destination), but no backup data is being sent through vCenter address (vmchost). If network based method is used, then ESXi addresses will be the ones that are defined in vCenter.

3. That will depend on the transport method that DM uses, but if hotadd is being used then adding just another NIC to DM and SP server will be enough. Should you wish to communicate with vCenter through that L2 network, then vCenter management will also need an IP from that subnet.

Back