How to use client for NDMP backups/restores

dynamox

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Folks,

how do i use tsm java client for NDMP backup and restores ? Right now i can initiate NDMP backups from the server itself but i need to be able to initiate them from my Windows XP workstation. I registered my XP workstation as a node in TSM, then i went to my datamover and added XP node as Administrator with owner Authority level. What do i do next ? I opened the client on my workstation and what do i specify for node name, userid and password ?

Thanks

The windows client must be registered to the same TSM server as the NAS then when you log in to the windows Java client use your ADMIN name and ID and it should show the NetApp and its volumes. I would not use it to perform the backup but thats up to you.

i guess i am not doing something correctly. When i open TSM backup/archive client on my workstatin and select Backup, the only things i see are:

"Automated System recovery"
"distributed file system"
"Local"
"Network"
"RAW"
"Removable"
"System Object"

i expanded each and one of them and i do not see NAS volumes.

You need to add that NAS client name and give full authority to the the ADMIN ID you are using as a user name.

i did that, in fact i can open backup/archive command line client on my workstation and issue NAS backup commands and they all run sucessfuly.

Does anyone have a copy of this client that you can post? I would love to try this out. Please let me know.

Dyna,
If you are using the web interface http://your_windows_workstation:1581 you should be able to log on to the TSm server using a TSM server admin account and see all of the NDMP clients. This feature is not available in the TSM client GUI that is accessed through the Start Menu.

Cheers,
Neil

We would like to use dynamox's method to back up our NAS also, but we are running into issues with the scheduled command. It always asks for an administrator username and password which causes the schedule to hang. So far all our attempts to pass the username and password to the client through a script have failed. Is there any way to stop the client asking for the admin username and password?

Many thanks!

UPDATE: After careful reading and re-reading of the manuals i have discovered that client scheduling of ndmp backups is not supported!

Last edited:
UPDATE: After careful reading and re-reading of the manuals i have discovered that client scheduling of ndmp backups is not supported!

This is not entirely true. You can create an admin sched and run the command from there. We've been doing this for a while with great success.

Yes, but that is an admin sched and not a client sched, which is what I was talking about.

We wanted to use client scheduling so we could have more control over management classes etc. An admin schedule does not allow fine-grained management class control. All files are associated to the one management class!

Back