How to schedule TDP for Exchange backup on MSCS?

mschenone

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to schedule the full and incremental backup on a MS Cluster where Exchange Server is running.

My command script is:

tdpexcc.exe backup * full /tsmoptfile=x:\tivoli\tsm\dsm_exch.opt /configfile=x:\tivoli\tsm\tdpexc_exch_a.cfg /excserver=MAILSVR

As you can see the options are on shared disk x: as tdp config file.

The script itself is working but when I try to create a schedule (prompted or polling) I get a missed error or pending. I've been following TDP for Exchange doc and Redbook on Configuring Exchange TSM backup...
I found out that tcpclientaddress parameter should point to node ip addr and not to virtualhost.. however I don't get it working.

First of all: what's best schedule practice? server prompted or client polling?

Thanks a lot in advance!

mik

On a cluster-based TDP for Exchange scheduler, I use the Cluster IP address - meaning the virtual IP address of the cluster so the backup still happens even if a failover condition exist.

Polling is my setting.

Check your Cluster setting and resource definition for the TDP for Exchange on the MS Cluster Service. Remember that you should have a service for the cluster independent of the nodes.

On a cluster-based TDP for Exchange scheduler, I use the Cluster IP address - meaning the virtual IP address of the cluster so the backup still happens even if a failover condition exist.

I also guessed this is the right way

Polling is my setting.

ok

Check your Cluster setting and resource definition for the TDP for Exchange on the MS Cluster Service. Remember that you should have a service for the cluster independent of the nodes.

what's strange with TDP scheduler is that from netstat -tan there's no one listening on port 1501 :( maybe it's a issue with windows style netstat? I wonder because I expect an entry like virtualip:1501 LISTEN ..

I use the following command to setup the TDP for Exchange scheduler service:

set exc_dir="C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient"

cd /d %exc_dir%

dsmcutil inst /name:"TDP for Exchange Scheduler" /node:<cluster_node_name> /password:<password> /autostart:no /clusternode:yes /clustername:<cluster_name> /clientdir:"c:\program files\tivoli\tsm\baclient" /optfile:"q:\tsm\dsm.opt" /startnow:no

which reside on either node.

Note that a corresponding Resource (generic service) must be defined using the MS Cluster Administrator. The Resource defined must have a registry entry on both nodes:

SOFTWARE\IBM\ADSM\CurrentVersion\BackupClient\NODES\<enter_your_cluster_name>

Last edited:
I use the following command to setup the TDP for Exchange scheduler service:

set exc_dir="C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient"

cd /d %exc_dir%

dsmcutil inst /name:"TDP for Exchange Scheduler" /node:<cluster_node_name> /password:<password> /autostart:no /clusternode:yes /clustername:<cluster_name> /clientdir:"c:\program files\tivoli\tsm\baclient" /optfile:"q:\tsm\dsm.opt" /startnow:no

which reside on either node.

Note that a corresponding Resource (generic service) must be defined using the MS Cluster Administrator. The Resource defined must have a registry entry on both nodes:

SOFTWARE\IBM\ADSM\CurrentVersion\BackupClient\NODES\<enter_your_cluster_name>

This is what I did, the only problem is that I've configured tdp only on the active node, because the mail server is working..

does cluster_node_name meas netbios/hostname or tsm node name?

Thanks! :)

cluster_node_name means the name you have given the cluster through MS cluster setup, and thus, netbios name as associated with the virtual IP of the cluster.

Last edited:
Back