How to scan local dsm.opt files from the server

mirrorsaw

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I have a feeling this isn't at all possible, but I'd like to be able to find any nodes that have a local DSM.OPT with Exclude statements in it.
Does TSM server have any kind of feature that would allow me to do this, or would I have to do it at the Windows level, maybe a GPO or something that would copy every dsm.opt file to a central shared folder or something?
We're basically just trying to identify nodes that have been altered from the default 'backup all'.

Thanks in advance

You are right, you cannot do it from the server.

You would have to look at each option file individually or look at the output of "dsmc query inclexcl".

However, you could circumvent excludes in the option file by using a client option set on the server that includes all:
include ?:\...\*

The include-exclude statements specified by the server are evaluated along with those in the client options file. The server include-exclude statements are always enforced and placed at the bottom of the include-exclude list and evaluated before the client include-exclude statements.
source: https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSGSG7_7.1.3/client/c_cfg_ieproc.html

Or, you could be creative and write a Powershell script that goes into every node to find out what Include/Exclude statements there are.

Caveat:

IT Security may frown on this depending on how security is implemented in your organization.

Back