How to get Client backup log to server

Janice

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I would like to know if any method that I can copy the client backup log to server.

My server is AIX OS 5.2. I have almost 200 wintel clients which will have backup run everyday. I was requested to copy the backup log files from client back to the server. So that the server will has all the backup logs. The purpose is to allow to check the client node backup result on server.

Since the client node is wintel, the backup result will also "Failed" as some files may opening and failed to backup. Therefore, the actual result should check on the client backup log.

Is there any better method to do ? Is the TSM has details result on the backup job ?

Since my server was hardened, I can only use sftp or wscp. Do anyone know how to use this command ?

Thanks.

:confused:

Janice

why do you have ftp turned off? Surely you can stop entry throught the public and within the company turn FTP on. Then just create a user account that has a non-expiring password but has a shell of NUL, this way you cannot actually log into a shell prompt with this account.

If you can then you just need to create a call script and ftp script on each windows machine. Look at example below

Create the following batch script call_tsm_xfer.bat

---call_tsm_txfer.bat---

cd "log directory"

ftp -s:ftp_2tsm.bat

exit

----------------------------

which calls in tsm_txfer.bat

-------tsm_txfer.bat------

open tsm.mycomp.com

USERNAME

PASSWORD

lcd "log directory"

prompt

mput filename

bye

----------------------------

Another option is to have TSM backup your client logs each day, and then restore them on your server. You could set up a special schedule that backs up only your client logs that you run after your normal backup schedule. Then, create a script on your TSM server to restore each of the client logs.

Back