How to find out where and what is being run when client initiates

djcronos

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi all,

We have about 6 AIX machines here at work that were configured by the previous sysadmin that used to work here. I'm in the process of getting the latest Tivoli client set up on these machines, since we just purchased the latest TSM Extended Edition a few months back.

Currently, all 6 of the AIX machines have a very old version of Tivoli Client installed on them (I think they might be 4.x or even 3.x, but I think they are 4.x). I can't find out where the heck they are being run from. There is no root cronjob, nothing in /etc/crontab, and I don't think it is in /opt.

What can I do to track down where these are being run from?

Thanks in advance!

ps -ef |grep dsm will tell you if there are any TSM processes running (like dsmc schedule for the TSM scheduler) There might be a third party scheduler as well (AutoSys, BMC Controll, etc)

More than likely, the TSM client is installed in /usr/tivoli/tsm/client/

To tell what version of TSM you have installed, you can run the command `lslpp -l |grep tsm` and then `lslpp -l {fileset_name}`

-Aaron

Nice, you were absolutely right about the path - thanks a bunch!

Now, how can I find out how it is run? I mean, how does the client know to initiate?

If there is a scheduler daemon running, then the TSM server will tell it when to run. If there isn't a scheduler daemon running, then it'll will be either through cron (check ALL the cron tabs /var/spool/cron/) or through a 3rd party.

To check for the scheduler daemon, run `ps -ef |grep dsm` It should return nothing if there isn't one running.

-Aaron

The startup for the scheduler daemon on AIX is usually triggered directly through /etc/inittab. So you might want to look in there, too.

Cheers

PJ

Back