How to Find is DB2 Content Manager is working with TSM

rbahadur

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been thrust into this problem at one of our clients place ( I have no knowledge of TSM at all). The client is having IBM DB2 Content Manager Enterprise Edition 8.3 on DB2. They also have a TSM 5.3 server and client installed.

I checked the Resource Manager Configuration and found that the TSM is enabled. On the Server I have found some .DBV files which are being updated daily. But I also found that the lobsdata filesystem ( which is part of the DB2 Content Manager ) is not being updated to the TSM Server.

Now the Customer feels that the TSM is not being used. I need to know how i prove to him that the TSM & Resource Manager is working.

If I go through the TSM Console it give me NODENAME error cannot run QUERY .

How to resolve this?

Any help would be great.

Thanks in Advance

Ravinder

Thanks

Hi Bart,

Thanks for your response. I will look into the link and see how to go about this.

I have looked at the document and have already checked the files for the same. The setup seems to be correct. and all the entries as per the Document are there in the respective files and locations.

Also I am attaching a doc file of screen shots which I tried to use to look at documents migrated to TSM. The exact error message that I get is

The error “ANR2020E QUERY CONTENT: Invalid parameter - NAMETYPE.“ is encountered, which prevents any further processing of query.
Any idea how to prevent /fix this error message and to query the TSM database so as to identify the what is available inside the TSM.

Regards
Ravinder

Last edited:
Ravinder,

I am not sure what exactly is a problem, but I think I can imagine:
Your resource manager has policy where it use TSM to store files, for example, after some time period. Right?

You want to see if that node has stored any files on TSM?

You can't query TSM trough TSM admin console?

You say "I am attaching a doc file..." but nothing is attached to your post

How about query nodedata <nodename>?

Hi Mita ,

I did upload a file it said uploaded but I could not find the file attached to my post.

Any way , yes you are right I am trying to find out if my DB2 Content Manager is able to work with the TSM to move files to the TSM severs. As BART gave me some links to a document I have managed to look at the configuration files based on that and find that they are all as required.

I used the TSM console to try and query the TSM database but I am getting errors as described below :

The error “ANR2020E QUERY CONTENT: Invalid parameter - NAMETYPE.“ is encountered, which prevents any further processing of query.

The document I am attaching contains the steps I followed to query the database . I am attaching the file again .

Thanks & Regards
Ravinder

Attachments

• TSM_issue.doc
    426.5 KB · Views: 16
Ok,
What you have posted is web interface from an old TSM server version (5.2), but it could be set up to work with 5.3
It may be possible that this web interface is not fully compliant with TSM ver 5.3

There is a command line administrative console, that you can use to check your TSM
it is called dsmadmc, and you can find it where your TSM client binaries have been installed.
From there, after login, you can issue queries that will give you results.
For example, to see exactly what have you asked trough web interface, you should type:

q content E:\TSMDSM\DISK1.DSM

note: This query has A LOT of results, so it can slow your server.
There are other, better queries you can use.

Hi Mita ,

Thanks for the response . I will try to look into this as soon as possible as currently my on site engineer is not available. I will go down to the site later.

Just for knowledge sake , how easy is it to make it complaint to TSM 5.3? What is required for this ? and how will affect our environment?

Nice if you or any one provide some light on the above.

Thanks Once again Mita.

Ravinder

Web interface is not really big issue, since most of TSM admins knows how to use administrative command line.

You can continue using web interface you already have there, since most of the functions will work from what you have. When I said "fully compliant" I actually meant "fully compatible", sorry for my bad english.

TSM 5.3 and later 5.x TSM servers use separate web interface, called Integrated Solution Console, that you install separately, if you like, on separate system. But if you did not already been working with it, you do not want to do it, trust me.

Just leave it as it is (if you are not going to upgrade whole thing: Latest versions are CM 8.3 FP13, that will work nice with TSM 5.5.4), and use admin command line when you find a problem using existing web interface.

Hi Mita

Thanks for your response and update. I think I wil just let it be as it is. I was unable to go to the client site today but I will update you on the status once I am there.

Thanks once agian for the feedback.

Regards
Ravinder

Back