How to backup Celera

randyman

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
We have a TSM v 5.5.2.1 server on Windows 2003. We've recently purchased a Celera. I've configured on the TSM server NDMP using Fibre attached tape drives. I believe I have it all setup, and I can log onto the tivoli server, open a command prompt, change to "C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\console>" and run "dsmc backup nas -mode=full -nasnodename=npsfil000 -toc=yes" just fine. Furthermore, I can see this:

tsm: STSM190_TSM>q nasbackup npsfil000 *
Session established with server STSM190_TSM: Windows
Server Version 5, Release 5, Level 2.1
Server date/time: 03/21/2011 15:56:51 Last access: 03/21/2011 15:40:18

Node Name: NPSFIL000
Filespace Name: /root_vdm_2/testfs
Object Type: Full Image
Object Size (MB): 3,429.8
Creation Date: 03/21/2011 14:06:54
Has Table of Contents (TOC)?: Yes
Mgmt Class Name: DEFAULT
Image Storage Pool Name: TAPE_NDMP

Filespace Name: /npsfil001-test
Object Size (MB): 16.1
Creation Date: 03/21/2011 14:22:36

Filespace Name: /FMA_DB_Backup
Object Size (MB): 0.3
Creation Date: 03/21/2011 14:38:00

Also,

tsm: STSM190_TSM>q datam * f=d type=nas

Data Mover Name: NPSFIL000
Data Mover Type: NAS
IP Address: 10.217.2.100
TCP/IP Port Number: 10000
User Name: tsmndmp
Storage Pool Data Format: EMC Celerra Dump
On-Line: Yes
Last Update by (administrator):
Last Update Date/Time: 03/02/2011 14:15:54

So, I'm thinking I'm almost there. What I'm struggling with is how to now "schedule" a backup and how to do restores. The documentation has not been very helpful for me. Any help would be appreciated. I'm not sure what other information would be helpful...

to start backup you need to issue this command:

backup node SERVER_2 /root_vdm_5/Marketing mode=full toc=yes mgmtclass=NASNDMP-FULL

so in this example we are backing up file system on datamover 2, this file system is mounted underneath a virtual datamover (VDM).

I schedule my backups using Administrative schedule in TSM server itself. Also on Celerra, set this parameter on the physical datamover that you are backing up. This parameter will ensure that Celerra will create a read-only snapshot of the file system and send that data via NDMP to the tape drive. This way backup is consistent with no open handles.

server_param server_2 -facility NDMP -modify snapsure -value 1

Got it! I knew it was right under my nose and I was just missing it. Are there any gotchya's in regards to reclamation or expiration of these types of backups? I'm assuming I'll add this to my daily script to copy the onsite to offsite storage pool and set it up to run through daily reclamation?

Ok...I'm sure this is something obvious I'm missing too. I'm having issues doing a test restore. So, lets say I want to pick something to restore, and I run "q toc npsfil000 /root_vdm_2/testfs f=d" and pick something. When I pick a file or a directory, and I run "C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\console>dsmc restore nas -nasnodename=npsfil000 /root_vdm_2/testfs" I get "ANS1107E Invalid option/value: '/ROOT_VDM_2/TESTFS'"

Or....if I try to do it from the server, and run "restore node npsfil000 /testshare/computersou.txt" for example, I get "ANR0852E RESTORE NODE: No matching file spaces found for node NPSFIL000."

How do you do restores? Thanks!

i just use the web java gui that you can install when you install the client on your pc. In your browser you point to your computer name ( i cant remember the port number) and that will show your local system as well as Celerra. There you can browse the file system and perform the restore. This should be documented in the TSM client documentation.

I never was able to get the gui to work either. Other than the usual in the opt file, I just need the NASNODENAME option, right?

yeah, i believe so. Make sure that username that you are using to login to the client has owner authority for your datamover node.

Back