How much bandwidth?

mj1980

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
hi! I'm trying to figure out exactly how much we need to increase the connection speed at one of our remote locations for the backup to finish...but how would I do that?

I bassicly need to know 2 things:

1. How much data was planned for the daily backup?

2. How much data was actually transferred?

I figure that, in the GUI on the node, if choose backup, select "local" and then click estimate I would get the amount planned for transfer?

Well, any help and ideas appreciated

Oh yeah, OS is windows 2000 server, TSM tdp is version 4.2 and Domino TDP version 1.1

While not directly related to how much bandwidth you will need, from my experience backing up across a 6 meg link:

Be sure to go to a disk pool. You probably will not have the bandwidth to keep a tape drive spinning which will cause pauses in the client sending data.

Compress on the client side. You will use more CPU time on the client, but you most likely will get a faster backup.

Spend time tweaking the client's TCP settings. The settings that worked well for LAN clients were not the best for our WAN clients.

Make plans to bring the client local if a full restore is ever needed.

Remember Scotty's rule for engineering, double the estimate to keep management’s expectations realistic.

When calculating the bandwidth, consider other traffic and if you have any QOS devices that might limit your connection when TSM attempts to use it all.

If you have any data compression devices in line you may not need or want to have TSM compress on the client side.

Andy

Back