How do I get rid of an old Copypool

qwwwizx

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi there,

I have been using TSM over the last 5 years, or so. Typically the TSM is just running 24/7 with no interrupts, so I am not an expert:cool:.

At the moment I am investigating how to get rid of an old copypool. The problem is that the copypool contains like 2.100 volumes. When I try to delete the copypool in the console, the message is that it contains volumens. I can delete volumes, but only on at the time which is a no-go:down:.

Are there any console commands that will let me delete all the volumes in just one string ... like "delete * from copypool;" just in TSM syntax:up:?

My TSM server runs on Windows XP:confused:, and its updated to TSM 5.4.

Hi there,

I have been using TSM over the last 5 years, or so. Typically the TSM is just running 24/7 with no interrupts, so I am not an expert:cool:.

At the moment I am investigating how to get rid of an old copypool. The problem is that the copypool contains like 2.100 volumes. When I try to delete the copypool in the console, the message is that it contains volumens. I can delete volumes, but only on at the time which is a no-go:down:.

Are there any console commands that will let me delete all the volumes in just one string ... like "delete * from copypool;" just in TSM syntax:up:?

My TSM server runs on Windows XP:confused:, and its updated to TSM 5.4.

Sorry, you have to delete the volumes one after the other. See "help delete volume" for details. use the parameter " .... discarddata=yes" to delete forcibly the data on the volumes (tapes).

Last edited:
Is that really 2100 volumes... crickey...

You'll have to try and get a list of the volumes in a txt file and then write a bat file to automate the process.... alas my windows skills arn't good enough to write such a bat file for you. Be aware, deleting that many volumes could put quite a load on the tsm server whilst it runs..

Cheers

OMG.

Not the answer I was hoping for!

Well, I will create a shellscript to do it for me and manage it that way around. Thank you both for fast answers.

You can delete multiple volumes with TSMManager. I have it and use it and it provides a GUI that you can select multiple volumes and choose to delete and discard data. Then TSMManager translates that into individual commands.

Just a thought, it might not be worth setting up the 'collector' and the 'client' but you do get a free 30 days demo (I believe it is fully functional). It does have to be setup on a windows box but can connect to any TSM instance on any platform.

And to clarify, I don't sell TSMManager, just use it.
http://tsmmanager.com

From experience, you need to make sure you don't run to many delete commands at the same time, they are database intensive and can cause the server to hang due to all the db activity involved in the delete process.

One at a time. You would likely gain nothing from multiples and it does NOT take many running concurrently to bring the TSM server to its knees.

Back