Ho to change retention period for existing backup data

rpandey

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,
We are planning to change retention period for existing backup data as per below. Would you please provide proper way to address this change?

1. Current long-term retention -> 10 Years
Proposed new long-term retention -> 5 Years

2. NDMP backup
Current long-term retention -> No limit
Proposed new long-term retention -> 10 Years

3. Backupset
Current long-term retention -> No Limit

1. Current long-term retention -> 10 Years
Proposed new long-term retention -> 5 Years

We want time to be the limiting factor and not quantity.
If the data was backed up and not archived, just update the backup copy group setting(s).
I've encounter people where they use the term "backup" and "archive" interchangeably.

Issue: update copygroup domain_name policy_set_name class_name verexist=nolimit verdelet=nolimit retextra=1825 retonly=1825

Once we issue the above, issue the following.

Validate po domain_name policy_set_name
Activate po domain_name policy_set_name

We cannot update a copy group in the ACTIVE policy set.
Once the changes are made to in the inactive policy set , then we issue the validate/activate to push the new changes to the ACTIVE policy set.

NOTE: If the data was archived. there is no rebinding.
If we update the retention for the archive from 10 years to 5 years, when the next schedule archive start then the data will be bound to the new archive retention.
What was previously archived with 10 year retention are not going to rebind to the new setting.

Issue: update copygroup domain_name policy_set_name class_name type=archive retver=1825

They only way I know to rebind archive data to a new retention is to define a new domain with the required archive retention. Once we move the node into the new domain, and what was previously archive have to rebind to the new archive retention.

2. NDMP backup
Current long-term retention -> No limit

Sorry, I'm having a brain fog on this one.
Some else will need to answer this question.

3. Backupset
Current long-term retention -> No Limit

Update the retention from NoLimit to 3650.

Backupset that have already been generated.
Update backupset node_name_or_group backup_set_name retention=3650

For new backupset, since I do not know what is the full "generate backupset" command that we are issuing.

Generate backpset node_name_or_group backup_set_name_prefix devclass=devclassname retention=3650 TOC=yes tocmgmtclass=mgmt_class

Good Luck,
Sias

Back