help with include statement for backup

kat

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I have tried various include statements and can't seem to get the backup I am looking for. Essentially I am trying to back up all my 2015 data files. They all start with 2015, ie) 20150101 (Jan 01 2015). I have attached a snap shot of what the file structure looks like.
my sched def looks like this: where my objects are looking for files starting with 2015.
Policy Domain Name: CVIAPCLUS_DOM
Schedule Name: DAILY_INCR_E_F
Description: DAILY INCREMENTAL BACKUP OF CVICLUSTER DRIVES E: and F:
Action: Incremental
Options: -SUBDIR=YES
Objects: f:\enterprise\polcache\2015*\*.*
Priority: 2
Start Date/Time: 07/13/2015 15:25:00
Duration: 1 Hour(s)
Schedule Style: Classic
Period: 1 Day(s)
Day of Week: Any
Month:
Day of Month:
Week of Month:
Expiration:
Last Update by (administrator): ADMIN
Last Update Date/Time: 07/13/2015 15:21:06
I have attached the full dsm.opt file but below are my inc and exl
my dsm.opt incl excl looks like this:
exclude E:\...\*
exclude F:\...\*
include E:\Enterprise\POLCache\...\*
include F:\Enterprise\POLCache\2015*\...\*

I get an error on my backup: specified directory path could not be found

I am out of ideas as to how to change the statements around to qualify my backups by year... 2014, 2015 rather than all files all the time.

Attachments

• cvi backup dir structure.JPG
    cvi backup dir structure.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 4
  • dsmcviclusterDtc.opt_07132015.txt
    2.7 KB · Views: 6
Maybe try replacing your domain statement in your dsm.opt with this:

DOMAIN F:\Enterprise\POLCache\2015*

and then run 'dsmc i' to test (or change to a simple incremental schedule with no objects).

Can you paste the exact error messages you are getting?

Sorry. I was cutting and pasting too fast. My last post was meant to read:
Maybe try replacing your domain statement in your dsm.opt with this:

DOMAIN F:

and then run 'dsmc i' to test (or change to a simple incremental schedule with no objects)...in case there's some issue with the server name since this seems to be a cluster.

I still want to see the exact error messages, but one thing I'd do is change the following.

On the schedules use:
Code:
Objects: f:\enterprise\polcache\*
The excludes/includes will take care of the rest for you.

Here is the error message: from error log
07/13/2015 15:47:33 ANS1076E The specified directory path could not be found.
07/13/2015 15:47:34 ANS1512E Scheduled event 'DAILY_INCR_E_F' failed. Return code = 12.

I can try to change objects and leave the incl to be more specific for the backup...

It seems the objects change did the trick. It looks like only 2015 data is being backed up.
Thank you so much.
Here is the config in my schedule:
Objects: f:\enterprise\polcache\*
Here is the incl in my dsm.opt:

Now that I am able to backup by year I need to be able to add encryption.
I know I can only do this via TSM as my tape library drives are LTO2 and upgrading them is not an option at this time. So, would my dsm.opt include look like this for encryption, this is bottom up?

include.encrypt F:\Enterprise\POLCache\2015*\...\* this is to encrypt
include F:\Enterprise\POLCache\2015*\...\* this is to backup

I do have the encryptkey and encryptiontype set.

I am not concerned about encryption yet because I see some data expiring with this new backup by year.
So I am backing up by year but I see all of the other 2 years processing as expired?
Should I have made a new backup schedule and define and associate that to the same node?
I do not think the data will really expire as I have ver exists=2, ver del=2, retain extra ver=no limit, retain only ver= no limit.
I might just need to reback up everything by year now?

The previous years are getting expired because you excluded them using:

Code:
If you want to keep the old data, they you should remove this exclude or change your include to:
Code:
If you want to keep this data forever, as your retention indicates, then all the data you want to keep has to be included. Because you are doing incremental backups, only changed data is backed up anyway, so old data that has not changed is not backed up again.

So the way I had my dsm file worked before I changed to bu by year.
include F:\Enterprise\POLCache\...\*
I got all data in polcache backed up successfully.

So, I guess I need to remove the exclude E F entirely?
And somehow get my expired years back from being marked as ready for expiration? Rebackup by year??

BTW: I do have that exact include statement in my dsm file?
(include F :\Enterprise\POLCache\2015*\...\*).

thanks so much for your feedback

If you had a successful complete backup after adding the exclude, the data is already expired. Once you remove the exclude, this data will be backed up again.

I did have a successful bu.
If I remove the exclude E F and keep the
include F :\Enterprise\POLCache\2015*\...\*, won't I just get 2015 data backed up? unless I edit this to include each year, 2010,2011...

attached is my dir structure with filenames starting with the year in the name

Attachments

• cvi backup dir structure.JPG
    cvi backup dir structure.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 0
By default, everything is include it unless you exclude it. So if you remove the exclude, everything will be included. It also makes your include unnecessary, so you could remove it for cleanliness.

Or return to your previous include/exclude if it achieves what you want.

That is not what I want...
I only want data that is under the polcache dir,
nothing in drectories anywhere else on the E and F drive, so I thought that is what the exclude was doing for me?

Ok, then your initial include/exclude did that.
So the way I had my dsm file worked before I changed to bu by year.

Let me step back. I was trying to add encryption to my bu as it was, as you have above.
(Which has been a very successful non encrypted incremental backup over the years.)
It caused that backup to rebackup everything in the polcache dir (1.7 TB data)! It was overwhelming.
I just added the 2 new include encrypt statements to my existing bu, plus the aes and encr keys...

include.encrypt E:\Enterprise\POLCache\...\*
include.encrypt F:\Enterprise\POLCache\...\*

I did not realize that would happen. My miss. So, I decided to run the backup by year and start the encryption as of 2015. But I wanted to make sure I can get the backup by year successful before I add the encryption changes to the dsm. And then I could go back to the older years and run the encrypted bu by year (2013, 2014) at a manageable rate...
Hope that makes more sense, Sorry for the confusion.

I understand. I guess you could have done like below. Encrypt by year, but keep include every year.

Code:
include.encrypt E:\Enterprise\POLCache\2015*\*
include.encrypt F:\Enterprise\POLCache\2015*\*

Yes I see what I missed now that you typed it out...
I ran the bu by year but I removed the last 2 statements you have above so that caused the expired data...
So if I run as you have above will the expired data be rebacked up again? If so,
that would be a big backup again.
Thank you so much for your insight. I appreciate your time.

Exactly, it will back up the data again, so it can be a big backup. Since it will backup the data again though, may as well all encrypt it at that time:
Code:
include.encrypt E:\Enterprise\POLCache\...\*
include.encrypt F:\Enterprise\POLCache\...\*

Well that was my original thought but I do not have enough tapes for copypools to handle that backup.
I think I messed up by just trying to add encryption to the current dsm like above then realized it is rebacking up all data with that change and not just the incremental data from that point in time! Then I changed to backup by year and expired all data with the excludes... So I am at the point of no return with the large backup! I need to get some tapes on hand to handle that... Now that I understand all data will be rebacked up either because of the expire or encryption.

Back