HBAAPI vendor library failed to load error during Disaster Recovery

rico

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi,

I'm trying to perform a disaster recovery of backup server A on backup server B that has different driver names for the library and drives (lb0.0.0.x, mt0.0.0.x).

I created a disaster recover copy storage pool, created a backup of the tape in the primary storage pool and backed up the TSM database, as well.

On the new server, I split the recplan file and updated the device configuration file (RECPLAN.DEVICE.CONFIGURATION.FILE) to reference the new hardware.

I ran RECPLAN.RECOVERY.SCRIPT.DISASTER.RECOVERY.MODE.CMD to recover the database, which worked fine at first, but once the server starts I see a lot of these messages:

ANR1792W HBAAPI vendor library failed to load or is missing.

Furthermore, when I query for drives, the two drive names still have the old name (DR.TAPE.256) with the old element number, although I updated the device configuration to use DR.TAPE.480 (the new element number for the new library).

To make things worse, when I query for libvolumes, all the old tapes show up, with home element names from the old library. When I run "audit library LIB.TAPE", the process fails and I get a couple of "ANR1792W HBAAPI vendor library failed to load or is missing" messages.

I can run "audit library" without problems if I create a new server instance from scratch, so I doubt that it is a hardware/TSM installation issue.

I guess it boils down to two questions:

1) What is that HBAAPI error message all about and is this the reason for audit library to fail?

2) Why do the drive names still show up as in the old backup server, although I modified the device configuration file?

Thanks in advance,

Rico.

I can't answer #1, as I've never seen that before. #2 is somewhat easier to answer. All the device configurations are kept in two places, the devconfig file which is used to start/restore the database and in the database itself. Once you modified the recovery plan file to use the correct devices, you could restore the database. Once the database is restored, it is going to have the device configuration that was in the database when it was backed up.

You will need to update the database (paths, libraries, stgpools, etc) with the new devices/names after the database is restored as well as modifying the recovery plan file.

-Aaron

Back