GUI on UXIX servers

Kyle2024

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a specific setting I need to use in order to open the BA GUI on UNIX boxes? (SUN, LINUX, AIX, HPUX)
I have several that I can get to with exceed using the display, but I would much rather use the //www.nodename:1581 to open it. The display scrren doesnt allow you to see the entire folder name. On some I can open the BA GUI, but when I click on Backup or restore...nothing happens.
I have password set to generate in the dsm.sys file. Http is correct.
I tried using the dsmc q sessions and then started the dsmcad...still doesnt work.
Am I missing something here? :mad:

I have used exceed to bring up the gui. The GUI is a little different in the fact that it doesnt let you expand the columns enough to see the entire name of the backed up client. The web GUI allows you to stretch the columns out to see the entire name of the file.

Hi Kyle -

try
/usr/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsmj &
or
/opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsmj &

depending on your OS.
Requires java to be installed and in the path of the root user.

(dsmJ is for the Java based GUI on *nix systems)

-Chef.

If you started the dsmcad, it should be listening on port 1581. Check to see if that port is listening on the unix machine (netstat -an | grep 1581). If it is, you should be able to connect via

http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:1581

Try using the IP instead of the DNS name. I know it sounds stupid, but there are so many shops with screwed up DNS that it's a disgrace.

I tried dsmj & and get this error:
$ dsmj &
$ Could not write to dsmj.log : java.io.FileNotFoundException: /opt/tivoli/tsm/c
lient/ba/bin/dsmj.log (Permission denied)
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError
at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:140)
at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment(GraphicsEnvi
ronment.java:62)
at java.awt.Font.initializeFont(Font.java:309)
at java.awt.Font.<init>(Font.java:345)
at COM.ibm.storage.adsm.framework.nls.DFcgNLS.setUnicodeFont(DFcgNLS.jav
a:627)
at COM.ibm.storage.adsm.cadmin.clientgui.DDsmApplet.main(DDsmApplet.java
:750)

This is what I got for the netstat command
$ netstat -an | grep 1581
*.1581 *.* 0 0 49152 0 LISTEN

I am able to bring the GUI up using the IP and all looks good. I go to click on the backup or restore button...any button for that matter...and nothing. It just never brings up the login prompt.

dsmj didn't start possibly because it looks like you aren't root, or your Java environment is messed up. Not sure, I didn't spend too much time contemplating it though.

If you aren't getting anything in the web gui, check the error logs in the /usr/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin directory. That might have more info.

Also, there are specific things you need to do in order for this to work, such as passwordaccess generate. Go over your setup carefully.

Thanks everyone for the input. I tried it as root and still got an error. My sys file is set to password generate. I can get to it with the exceed export display...so I guess I will just get use to it this way.

Ok -

forget dsmj -
make sure all your logs are writeable by all and that they exist -
(/opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsm*.log)
you can check for additional error info in these logs -
they can be very helpful...
just use dsmcad (which is what the 1581 port info is for)
as the wild one suggested -

- dsmcad is the process that runs for the backup/archive web client interface (/opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsmcad)
dsmcad should be running as needed -
(***note that the web client will NOT come up if this process is down)
dsmcad must be started as ROOT (or via "sudo" if you have access to that)

then once you can see that dsmcad is started
(ie, as root or sudo /opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsmcad &)

connect to it via a browser on your laptop or computer -
using the dns name or the IP address of the target you are trying to reach
(if your shop has multiple ip's for user, backup, admin networks, try all of them to be sure...):

http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:1581/BACLIENT

and a when web BAClient session is initiated back to the client -
an additional process will be seen on the client end:
/opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/./dsmagent 15 0 - optfile=/opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsm.opt

(you can use "ps -ef | grep dsm" to see the dsmcad & dsmagent processes on the client side -
to see if your web Gui is even connecting back to it...)

let us know if this works.
if it does work, it is likely that it will ask you to enter the password when the Gui comes up there.
it does NOT require java nor exceed to be run via this method...
if it does not work, please post the info from the log files as mentioned above.

-Chef.

Last edited:
I've come across similar problems on Solaris in particular when trying to use the web client and some of the OS patch dependencies (java ones etc) that are referenced in the TSM BA Client README files haven't been met. Might be worth double checking your OS patch revisions against what your TSM BA Client README tells you should be there...

HTH,

DMc, London

The problem I am running into is, I can get the Gui to come up...I can see it like all is good. But then, when I click on restore, or backup...nothing. Normally you get a login and password box, but nothing happens. This is a SUn box.

No, I just see the dsmcad running...but that is it.

I had this happen on a HP box when at a DR test. The linking was all screwed up in Java and I had to make sure I went and killed the session and the dsmcad and restart the process and then it would work...for awhile...then I would have to do it again. Make sure you are at the most current java level (I believe minimum is 1.4.x for the client).

I will check it out. I just started at this site, so faily new to all the servers. Seems some I have been able to access and other not. Guess at least I can use the exceed display. Better than the -pick command. :eek:

Dear I am definitly sure its problem with your java

Its not getting loaded

check with "env" command as a root for the path of java

if not found pls intall latest java and

run this "export path/(java path):path$" as the root

and run the dsmj for the GUI of TSM

I faced this problem and got resolved fine

Back