Full restore Wintel from scratch

shcart

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
IBM Appear to be telling us that recovery of a wintel box requires the following

Install OS from scratch ( OK with this )

Install and configure TSM (OK with this too)

APPLY ALL PATCHES on OS to exact level it was at when system object backup was taken

( Err arent these patches part of the backup )

Install and patch all applications.

( Now we are getting very silly, why did i backup the windows, system and program

file tree's so cant I restore these too.)

we can now restore the system object. ( I assume thats another Reboot at some point )

restore the application data.

AT least thats the way i understand the second hand message.

Whats the point of using TSM if all it can do is restore data. I know the data is important too.

Can someone explain in semi techy terms. ( I'm a unix guru not wintel :grin: ) what the most effective DR process is for wintel servers.

Is it possible to build a tailored bootable TSM CD or a floppy/CD combination allowing a total restore of the Cdrive to occur as is then just boot from the restored C drive. This cannot be rocket science folks it is TSM for goodness sakes

OS's involved are NT4, W2K & W2003 oh and XP on my laptop if not I'll dump my PC backup

Tks

SteveC.

:confused:

When we restore a Win2k or NT 4 system from scratch, we just install the base OS (usually SP 1 slip streamed) Then we restore the file system. Without restarting we restore the registry then reboot. If you reboot after the file system but before the registry, the system usually will not boot.

When we are done the system is back to where it was at the point of the backup.

Test it as your mileage may vary, but it has always worked for us.

Andy

Back