Force tape relabel

daduranp

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone knows how to force the relabel of a tape? I inherited a TSM with many issues and among them I found a tape (tape [HASHTAG]#176[/HASHTAG]) that has the wrong internal label (#86) but it doesn't contain valid data so I want to relabel it to use it as a scratch tape.

The thing is that the internal label is the same of an existing tape with data we have (we do have a tape #86) so when I try to relabel the tape with the wrong label (label command with overwrite=yes) TSM says it won't because the volume for that internal label "is still defined in a storage pool or volume history".

I know I can empty and remove the tape with the right label while I relabel the tape with the wrong one so TSM doesn't "get confused" but I just wonder if there is a way to force the relabel instead.

TSM is not going to let you relabel a tape that has (valid) data on it.
This is how TSM works and enforces no data loss.

My two cents: just toss the tape. Tape is cheaper than the amount of work (time and cost, among others) you need to put in to correct this issue.

TSM is not going to let you relabel a tape that has (valid) data on it.
This is how TSM works and enforces no data loss.

I know it's trying to protect valid data but the tape does not have valid data. TSM thinks it does because the internal label is the same of one tape that does have valid data.

Some times you can force the deletion of objects when you have singular scenarios like these one, e.g., when you have a tape used under library manager that doesn't belong to any server anymore you can force its deletion using a hidden parameter (you won't see it in the documentation) with the delete volhistory command.

My two cents: just toss the tape. Tape is cheaper than the amount of work (time and cost, among others) you need to put in to correct this issue.

We're acquiring a new solution to replace our tape system, in the meantime I'm trying to optimize the tape use to avoid the paperwork to order more old tapes (it's annoying and time consuming) and we're short on slots.

You're right, one tape doesn't make a difference, but mainly I was just curious TSM doesn't have an option for a situation like this (two tapes with the same internal label, one with valid data). I guess I can assume a "force" parameter or something similar doesn't exist if you don't know it. :)

Anyway, I'll go ahead and move the data from the tape with the valide data and will try again, should work and shouldn't take a lot of time but more important I will confirm at least there is a workaround :p (yes I suffer from COD hehe).

Thanks moon-buddy!

It might work if you can return the real 86 to scratch, then there will be no takes in use with that number, so you should be able to re-label it.

Back