First time I have had to upgrade TSM and a bit apprehensive !

Wilky

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi there,

We are currently running TSM ( 5.1.6.2) and have just been sent the CD's to update to the latest version ( 5.2 ). I'm a bit apprehensive and don't want to break anything as the original software was installed by consultants. Can anyone confirm that, by upgrading, all of my current settings will be retained ?

Is it just a case of running the CD and installing the software in the same location as the current version. I've read the "readme" and everything seems to be pretty straightforward.

Thanks for any help or comments,

Paul.

I know the client keeps the same settings. It will not overwrite the dsm.opt because it only writes a dsm.smp file for you to convert. I haven't done the server and I am waiting for the same answers you are.

I just found out yesterday that version 5.2 is incompatible with AIX4x. A correction

to the TSM 5.2 Quickstart Manual has been issued (APAR "IC36585" ).

I'm assuming that you are referring to the TSM server. Note, that every TSM version has it's own bugs/features. So the advice I usually give is once you find the a stable TSM version, stay on it until it get close to being unsupported (usually takes a year or two). This maybe in stark contrast to the philosophy of other who manage TSM servers, but after having done this for many years, unless the upgrade is for adding a needed device support or to address a specific problem, why upgrade for the sake of upgrading.

All it takes is one bad experience upgrading to the latest version and discover that the latest version has other bugs/defects that are now affecting you. Now, in a perfect world you'd be able to test this new version on the same/similar hardware and library to see if it works. I run 5.1.6.2 on my TSM server with 9940B (STK) drives on an AIX 5.1 box and Its running fine. I'm not going to touch the TSM server version until it comes close to falling out of service in like 2 years or so. Support will almost always say that hey, this new version is much better..fixes tons of problems <blah> <blah>.

I totally agree, we upgraded from 5.1.1.6 to 5.1.7.0 to fix a core dump issue and ended up with a major library/tape drive problem. So while we did find benefits from the upgrade, we spent two weeks fighting with tape drives and ended up running 5.1.7.1.

Andy

Back