FILE devclass + stg pool volumes

jamesmacd40

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi all

i have created a FILE deviceclass, with EST/MAX Capacity set to 50GB
i then created a stgpool and specified the max scratch at 1000

i wanted to create some volumes, so i issued define volume stgpool devc numberofvolumes=1000 formatsize=50000

it tells me that 1000 is not valid. looking at the help, it states i can enter 1 -256 for that value.

it has been a while since I toyed with FILE device classes, but if i have the max scratch set to a value, as data is written to the pool, TSM will automatically create new 50G volumes in the directories i specified in the devclass, and therefore i do not need to manually create any volumes? is this correct?

Hi,
What is your SP server version? and the OS?

AIX 7.1 (TL5 SP2) - Spectrum Protect 8.1.1.0 - using FILE device class at the moment until a review of container storage pools is performed and may move to those later in the future.

Till you get that info, the max size of volumes to create with define vol can't be more than 256 volumes.

The value of the MAXCAPACITY parameter is also used as the unit of allocation when storage pool space triggers create volumes ..

So yes, when the stgpool needs a new scratch it will create a vol with 50G in size to be used.

Cool, but make sure to upgrade your server to 8.1.1.100 at least, 8.1.1.0 is buggy :)

cool thanks, one last question on that, the server will auto create new volumes up to 1000 set in the max scratch parameter correct?
also i have nothing set for space trigger on the pool

Yes, that is correct. It will create the volumes up to the maxscratch parameter that was set.

The define spacetrigger command is used to define settings for triggers that determine when and how the server prepares extra space when predetermined thresholds are exceeded in storage pools that use FILE and DISK device classes.

That means it will only be of use if you have set multiple directories for your file devclass that can be used as extra space for expansion.

Have a look at this link for further explanation:
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowled.../srv.reference/r_cmd_spacetrigger_define.html

i actually have 11 directories defined for the device class, but they are all defined in the devclass.

thanks

Yes, that will be the space trigger location

Back