Fast Backup and Restore

Johannes

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi,

we are using TSM 5.1.5 Server and 5.1 Clients (all Windows 2000).

From time to time it is necessary to make a "fast" backup and restore of a Partition from one of our servers.

The data amount is about 70-100 GB and TSM needs 10-14 hours with an Adic Scalar 100 (3 DLT Drives) to restore the files (about 400.000 objects) distributed on 3-4 tapes.

This is not acceptable.

Here are my questions:

1. Is it possible to backup and restore the files with the TSM Client direct to/from a (local) harddisk instead writing it to the TSM-Server and migrating to the tape?

2. Has anyone an explanation why TSM executes the restore process with only one drive? I have 3 of them and with the database TSM has, it should be no problem for this software to find out that parts of the files he has to restore can also be found at 3 other tapes.

TSM sequentially restores tape1, after finishing he restores tape2 and so on...

My other 2 drives have nothing to do... If I could use all 3 the restore process would be much faster...

3.Has anyone made experience with the new feature "imaging-Backup" of the TSM 5.1. Server? Is it reliable?

Greetings,

Johannes

Hi Johannes,

If you have a disk storage pool, try using the "move nodedata" command. Then you can move data from your primary tape storage pool to the disk storage pool. It is much faster to restore to the diskpool, than to the node directly from tape.

An advantage by doing this is also, that you can start the restore process when you are preparing new hardware for your node.

More info on page 233 in Administrators Guide (http://www.tivoli.com/support/publi...TSMCW/GC32-0782-00/en_US/PDF/GC32-0782-00.pdf).

Greetings,

René

:)

Question #2.

check the maximum number of mount points (maxnummp) for the node that you wish to use multiple drives for your restores. Also, look at the Resourceutiliaztion dsm.sys or dsm.opt option. This should answer your question.

As of TSM 5.1, there is a feature called 'Multiple Session No Query Restore' If you look at the TSM Client manual, it should cover how to set this up. In a nutshell, it allows multiple tapes to be mounted and restored from (restricted by maxnummp). Three tapes with data, three drives....three active restore sessions.

-Aaron

Back