Expire Inventory

lmchv

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I have several nodes defined under a policy domain and I'm having problems with two nodes. Their backups keep expiring everyday (the whole backup) regardless they have to or not, they just expire (they don't left an active copy). Because of this, the schedule does a full backup everyday. This is kind of annoying because it takes a lot of tape space.

Also one of this nodes fails its backup on a regular basis, if I try to backup it manually, it just don't backup anything. This backups are from remote hosts, I use the domain clause "\\server\share"

Server 4.2.2.12, Client 4.2.1.32

Hmmmm........

Without seeing you retention policy, and your dsm.opt file, it's difficult to help you with what your asking, however based on what you have shared here are some thoughts to consider:

1) The prcess which decides what to backup is looking at a variety of factors which must have changed in order to be backed up. I assume you are trying to backup the share listed in your DOMAIN statement. This which cause the file(s) to be backed up are any of the following ( plus a few more): permissions, change in file size, mount point, change in directory sturcture, etc. I am guessing you are tripping one of these parameters which is causing it to perform a full backup each day, or not (depending upon which client your on).

2) I would reccomend against backing up shares, rather I would suggest you bakup the directory from the actual server it lives on rather than accoss the share. Backing up a share puts a HUGE strain on the network card of the intermediate server. Additionally, backing up shares can cause multiple backups of the same data, resulting in extra TSM database size, and tape usage.

3) I trust you know you are way behind on versions and should consider upgrading......

I hope that helps a little, if we could see some more of you config we might be able to tell you more.

Well, the data I want to backup is very different, one is a novell share using nt gateway services, other is a NT4.0 workstation and the other is a W2K server, the permissions don't changed between one day or another, the problem is that everyday it expires the whole last day backup, regardless it has changed or not.

I'm planning to upgrade to 5.2, but this still doesn't fix my problem now, it was working before, and nothing has changed since. :sad:

Example (dsm.opt):

INCLUDE \\server\share\...\*

DOMAIN \\server\share

Back