• Please help support our sponsors by considering their products and services.
    Our sponsors enable us to serve you with this high-speed Internet connection and fast webservers you are currently using at ADSM.ORG.
    They support this free flow of information and knowledge exchange service at no cost to you.

Please welcome our latest sponsor Tectrade . We can show our appreciation by learning more about Tectrade Solutions
  • Community Tip: Please Give Thanks to Those Sharing Their Knowledge.

If you receive helpful answer on this forum, please show thanks to the poster by clicking "LIKE" link for the answer that you found helpful.

• Community Tip: Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING)

Click the link above to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This notice will disappear after you have made at least 3 posts.

Excluding ASR

GregE

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Can I exclude Windows2003 ASR from backing up with "DOMAIN -ASR" in the dsm.opt file. We have one server which has NEVER allowed its ASR files to backup. It fails everytime since it was built and has no ASR filespace in TSM.

I get a morning report with "Failed" for clients that fail. This one obviously always fails, so to know if something more happened than just the ASR failing, I have to go looking thru other avenues to be sure.

Knowing this is an issue and the Windows admins have no idea why (NTBackup test also fails to back it up), I'd like to exlude it.

syntax44

ADSM.ORG Member
Use

domain ALL-LOCAL -systemstate
domain ALL-LOCAL -systemstate

Check the IBM docs for more information about ASR in conjunction to SYSTEMSTATE.

ASR is part of SYSTEMSTATE in W2K3 server and VISTA and part of SYSTEMOBJECT in XP.

JohanW

ADSM.ORG Moderator
Or
domain all-local
exclude.systemstate asr
or some such.

I don't have the exact syntax handy, but I had to use (something like) this to exclude Active Directory on a Windows XP box. That one worked, I know that for sure. Maybe it just can't be done in the domain directive.

syntax44

ADSM.ORG Member
That would be (from the TSM B/A Client for Windows manual):

exclude.systemobject:
Excludes individual system objects from backup services. Excluded system object types that you backed up previously are not expired during subsequent backups. This option only excludes the system object types that you specify from subsequent backups. This option is valid for Windows XP clients only.

On Windows XP only, and I was unable to find an exclude.systemstate.

Last edited:
As far as I've found, there is no way to exclude just the ASR files. If you exclude the entire systemstate, I believe it excludes the ASR files, but that obviously excludes a whole lot more.

Would be a nice feature in the next version or whatever. No one I know even uses the ASR files to recover a W2k3 system anyway.

Advertise at ADSM.ORG

If you are reading this, so are your potential customer. Advertise at ADSM.ORG right now.

UpCloud high performance VPS at $5/month

Get started with $25 in credits on Cloud Servers. You must use link below to receive the credit. Use the promo to get upto 5 month of FREE Linux VPS.

The Spectrum Protect TLA (Three-Letter Acronym): ISP or something else?

• Every product needs a TLA, Let's call it ISP (IBM Spectrum Protect).

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • Keep using TSM for Spectrum Protect.

Votes: 48 63.2%
  • Let's be formal and just say Spectrum Protect

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • Other (please comement)

Votes: 7 9.2%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sag