exclude\include statement

rpask

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
hi!! Trying to exclude the whole c:\ (operating system) on a windows 2000 server. and include one directory in the "c:\program file\tivoli\tsm" directory only. i tried many way, my last chance is coming here. HELP ???? :confused: :rolleyes:

Hi,

A very relevant problem! A reverse/opposite normal processing - "Only process this" - "Exclude all except this".. I assume you have secured all other files/OS in another backup routine/job?

This should have been easy to achieve, but alas. For instance it would be helpful if one could select files in BAclient GUI and then save the selection to a script/filer to be used as directions in a backup schedule. The following is an important guideline:

1: Processing of include exclude list is normally bottom up.

2: exclude.dir will process BEFORE other statements (no matter where it is in the exclude/include list!), and thus all subsequent include statements of object in the exclude.dir tree will fail.

This means that your requirement is difficult to achieve, as you must exclude all directories instead of simply adding one include statement and make TSM only process that explicitly. You must also exclude system state/objects.

I have also looked for this, so I hope I am wrong in assuming there is no smooth solution? Anyone?

Regards

[email protected]

exclude c:\...\*

include c:\progra~1\tivoli\tsm\(dir)\...\* (MGMT_CLASS)

this will include the one dir(and subs) but exclude everything else.

-Aaron

Aaron,

Thanks! But for some reason the 8.3 path does not work, but this does:

exclude c:\...\*

include "c:\program files\tivoli\tsm\...\*"

Quict test is to browse in BAclient GUI.

It is difficult to know when TSM utilizes code that correctly translates embedded blanks using defacto standard quotation marks "", and not! I am looking forward to the day same methodology is in place throughout tsm. For instance external commands MUST use 8.3 path, and "" will fail(!) To avoid this I will only use C:\tivoli\tsm\

Regards

[email protected]

Back