Exchange TDP Management class help

toddz2000

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I created a management class just exchange

I need to keep 30 days.

What I'm not sure about is how to keep 30 days worth a exchange mail?
Do I change the the Number of version to 30???
Inactive Versions is set to 30??

I pretty much have everything set to 30.

I'm not familiar with the TDP at all. It does some Delta changes.

Example:
If a user deleted an email on the 20th day, I should ba able to recover that one email.
A normal backup would have to keep at least 20 versions because it changes everyday.

Thanks

If it is of any help, below is my policy for our exchange servers. We keep things for 95 days.

Backup Copy Groups : VS_DOM VS_GROUP VS_CLASS STANDARD

Policy Domain Name VS_DOM
Policy Set Name VS_GROUP
Mgmt Class Name VS_CLASS
Copy Group Name STANDARD
Versions Data Exists 95
Versions Data Deleted 1
Retain Extra Versions 95
Retain Only Version 95
Copy Mode MODIFIED
Copy Serialization SHRSTATIC
Copy Frequency 0
Copy Destination LTO3VSPOOL
Table of Contents (TOC) Destination -
Last Update Date/Time 2007-09-12 10:35:55.000000
Last Update by (administrator) xxxxx
Managing profile -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That helps.

How many delta's does the TDP keep?
How much do you back up each day???

The first backup is going to be 300 gigs or so. AFter that I have now idea how this TDP works.

Thanks

Generally we back up from 90 to 120 GIGS per day. Below is a piece of the log that shows you the transfer rate and the elapsed time. I run it early in the morning before people start to arrive.I'm not sure if this answers your quesion but we keep 95 days of full backups. If you have gigabit fibre then you would probably have backup times X3. Put in a storage agent if you want things to move along quicker.

1/28/2008 19:23:23 Backup Type : FULL
01/28/2008 19:23:23 Database Name :
01/28/2008 19:23:23 Buffers : 3
01/28/2008 19:23:23 Buffersize : 1024
01/28/2008 19:23:23 Exchange Server : EXVSMB01
01/28/2008 19:23:23 TSM Node Name :
01/28/2008 19:23:23 TSM Options File : C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\TDPExchange\dsm.opt
01/28/2008 19:23:23 Mount Wait : Yes
01/28/2008 19:23:23 Quiet : No
01/28/2008 19:23:23 -------------------------------------------------------------------------
01/28/2008 19:59:29 Total storage groups requested for backup: 6
01/28/2008 19:59:29 Total storage groups backed up: 6
01/28/2008 19:59:29 Total storage groups expired: 0
01/28/2008 19:59:29 Total storage groups excluded: 0
01/28/2008 19:59:29 Throughput rate: 43,034.29 Kb/Sec
01/28/2008 19:59:29 Total bytes transferred: 95,411,733,538
01/28/2008 19:59:29 Elapsed processing time: 2,165.15 Secs

I'm not sure about the exchange TDP, but normally (eg. SQL TDP) the recommendation for you is to set retextra and retonly to 30, and leave verexists and verdeleted set to nolimit.

from the knowledge website

Recommended Tivoli Storage Manager policy settings

Make sure the following policy items are defined with the recommended settings.
Consult your Tivoli Storage Manager administrator or see the IBM Tivoli Storage Manager for Windows Administrator's Guide and the IBM Tivoli Storage Manager for Windows Administrator's Reference for complete information on defining or updating these Tivoli Storage Manager policy items.
Domain

Create a policy domain on the Tivoli Storage Manager server to be used exclusively for Data Protection for Exchange backups.
Policy Set

Policy sets contain management classes (which contain copy groups) that determine the rules by which Data Protection for Exchange backups are performed and managed. Define the policy set to the policy domain to which Data Protection for Exchange backups belong. Note that the policy set must be activated and only one policy set can be active in the policy domain.
Management Class

Define a management class for backups residing on local shadow volumes and a management class for backups residing on Tivoli Storage Manager server storage. Different management classes provide the opportunity for specialized policies for each storage destination. For example, you can maintain six versions of local VSS Backups of a given storage group (VERExists=6) while maintaining only two versions of the same storage group on Tivoli Storage Manager server storage (VERExists=2). In addition, you can create a separate management class for copy backup types for use in long term storage. Such policies can maximize storage resources and provide more control over your storage strategy.
|Note that since VSS Backup processing |requires sufficient storage space to create shadow volumes, make sure you |specify verexists=N+1 in order to keep N backups |on local shadow volumes. |See "Storage space considerations for local shadow volumes" |in How Tivoli Storage Manager server policy |affects Data Protection for Exchange for further recommendations.
Be aware that since Legacy backups on Tivoli Storage Manager server storage, VSS Backups on Tivoli Storage Manager server storage (COPY and FULL), and VSS Backups on local shadow volumes (COPY and FULL) all have different Tivoli Storage Manager server naming and therefore, can each have their own management class, it is possible to have five active backups of the same storage group. Make sure your backup strategy is planned and well-defined before defining management classes.
Copy Group

Define the copy group as a backup copy group and not an archive copy group. Since Data Protection for Exchange stores all objects as backup objects on Tivoli Storage Manager in backup storage pools, an archive copy group is not required, although an archive copy group can exist. The following backup copy group parameters significantly influence your backup policy:
VERExistsDetermines the maximum number of Exchange Server database backup versions to retain for databases that exist on the Data Protection for Exchange client system. VERDeleted Determines the maximum number of Exchange Server database backup versions to retain for databases that have been deleted from the Data Protection for Exchange client system after being backed up by Tivoli Storage Manager. RETExtra Determines the number of days to retain an Exchange Server database backup version after that version becomes inactive. RETOnly Determines the number of days to retain the last Exchange Server database backup version of a database that has been deleted from the Data Protection for Exchange client system. Be aware that incremental backups do not participate in expirations (due to version limit) because there is never more than one version of an incremental backup object. This is because incremental backups are always uniquely named. However, all Legacy backup objects for an Exchange Server storage group are inactivated when a new full backup of that Exchange Server storage group is performed (VSS backup objects remain active). Therefore, the retention period set in the RETOnly parameter controls the expiration of incremental backup objects. When setting the value of the RETOnly parameter for incremental backups, the value must be (at a minimum) as long as the value set for the full backup objects to which the incremental backups are associated. You can use the same management class for incremental backups and the full backup objects (that are retained the longest) to be sure an adequate value is used. However, all Legacy backup objects for an Exchange Server storage group are inactivated when a new Legacy full backup of that Exchange Server storage group is performed (VSS backup objects remain active).
MODE, SERialization, FREQuencyYou can accept default values for these backup copy group parameters as they are not applicable to Data Protection for Exchange. It is recommended that you discuss these parameters with your Tivoli Storage Manager server administrator in order to accomplish your backup strategy.
Storage Pool

A single restore can require a full backup, a differential backup, and multiple incremental backups. It is recommended to use collocation if these backups are stored on removable media. Use collocation by file space (define stgpool COLlocate=FILespace) if you plan to restore multiple storage groups in parallel. This is recommended because all data for any one storage group is stored within one Tivoli Storage Manager server file space.

TDP for Exchange

I created a management class just exchange

I'm not familiar with the TDP at all. It does some Delta changes.

Example:

If a user deleted an email on the 20th day, I should be able to recover that one email.
A normal backup would have to keep at least 20 versions because it changes everyday.

Thanks

Delta is a term not used with TSM. Incremental is the term to use.

Note that you cannot recover ONE e-mail using TDP for Exchange. You recover entire databases.

If you are after one email, you have to use brick backups in conjunction with TDP backups.

Back