Exchange backup taking long time

tsmuser13

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi friends

our exchange backup is taking very long time to complete. we are taking backup of exchange through LAN. our schedule is suppose to start at 6 pm but since last month or so we've noticed that backup is still running even after 12 hours after commencement.

our size of exchange is 540 GB and we do have other schedules running during night but they start at different time-period.

so friends could you please suggest me how to solve this problem. should i take exchange backup using lan-free method or should i schedule the backup little early.

please help.

regards

leo.

540 Gb on 12 hours? What is your Nic Speed? 100 mbps? or how many drives you have? When the Exchange backup starts it founds any available drives to run?

thanks

hi nezih

many thanks for your reply.

we do have 100 mbps speed and we have two drives and both drives are available when exchange schedule starts.

what could be the reason for such prolonged backup activity.

do i need to add TXNGROUPMAX parameter in my system options file cause we dont have that parameter added yet.

please advice.

regards

leo

100 mbps ethernet networks moves 10 Mbps, this means you'll able to backing up 36 Gb in one hour in %100 utilization and 15 hours needed for 540 Gb. But in the real world we calculate %75 utilization for network speeds (20 hours to 540 Gb). If your network is busy than %25 you'll calculate your network speed.

It is not important to change txngroupmax or any other parameter in 100 Mbps network.

Hi

If you have the ability to go LAN-Free it would definitely be worth doing.. what sort of tape drives?

Cheers

thanks

hi ilovetsm

how do we configure lan-free backup with exchange. do we need to install the agent on exchange node. what are the steps involved.

please advice.

thanks.

hi nezih

many thanks for your reply.what could be the alternative to reduce this time-frame.

Hi

You'll need to zone some tape drives to your Exchange host and install the appropriate drivers for them.

You'll need to install the Tivoli Storage Agent on your exchange server and configure it.
You'll need to define a server and tape paths on your tsm server.

Read the Storage Agent user guide for detailed steps.

First you'll need dedicated hba to access to your tape library zone on san switch

hi

hi friends

sorry for not giving complete information. We are taking exchange backup on disk(SAN) with storage pool EXCHANGE_DISKPOOL and then we are performing migration to tapes with storage pool EXCH_TP.

could this be the reason for the such lengthy backup time. also if possible how can i take the backup directly to tape rather than to the disk.

please advice.

i am thankful to your time and patience.

regards

leo

No dude your problem is 100 Mbps network! You said it's 100 Mbps and I explain the calculation? I don't think it's disk related or some other reasons. It's network related!

thanks nezih

many thanks nezih for your time and patience.

Back