exchang 2010 and TSM 6.1.2 for mail

spiffy

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
We are going to be implementin exchange 2010 and installing TSM for mail 6.1.2. I have downloaded and am reading the redbook, well the light blue book I guess, and am confused if I need to have the TSM for Copy Services installed too
In one section it says this
Requirement: To use VSS features, you must also install the following software applications:
v Basic VSS operations require one of the following applications:
– IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Microsoft Exchange VSS Integration Module Version 5.5.2 or later
– IBM Tivoli Storage FlashCopy Manager Version 2.1 or later
These applications are not required when you perform VSS backups with Exchange Server 2010, if the backups are
stored on the Tivoli Storage Manager Server
In another section it says this
To perform basic VSS operations, the IBM Tivoli Storage Manager for Copy
Services Microsoft Exchange VSS Integration Module is required. Follow these
steps to install this module:

So what is it? VSS operation to TSM Server requires or doesn’t require the Copy Services for basic VSS operations? we are going to use the TSM 6.2 server to store the backups so, i dont think we are going to do any of the fancy stuff listed in the document, offloading and what not...

Also, we are installing this in a VM farm, I think a 3 node setup, but am not sure. Has anyone done this before and have any pointers?

Thanks

Hi
just use Data Protection for Exchange V6.1.3

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?&uid=swg21451441:
"With Data Protection for Exchange V6.1.3 and Data Protection for SQL V5.5.5,
users can perform VSS backup and restore operations to a Tivoli Storage Manager
server destination without Tivoli Storage FlashCopy Manager or Tivoli Storage Manager for Copy Services components"

regards

Back