Esxi 3.5 TSM Backup

blackcat39100

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Is there anyone manage to backup vm (file level) hosted on an ESXI 3.5 with TSM 5.5 without using tsm client inside the vm or using Vmware VCB ?
I have an local esxi 3.5 not attached to a SAN (local storage) hosting multiple vm.
I tried to install tsm client inside the esxi in maintenance mode over ssh without luck.
Can the VMFS3 local storage volume be accessible by TSM without using VCB ?
Can VM Snapshot on a second VMFS3 volume be reachable to TSM ?
Is there any solution ?

I was about to ask nearly exact the same question. I also need to backup an ESXI 3.5 machine and it's guests so I just jump into this thread ;)

Micha

Actually, I sort of got the TSM 5.5 client working in ESXi 3.5, it's just that that ESXi does not seem to have a termcap etc. library so the interactive command line editor does not work and you can't enter a password (so you need to specify it in dsm.opt).

Kai-Uwe

Do you have the possibility to stop all your vm before lunching backup because for me, all VMs cannot be stopped. I believe making snapshots on other volume is a solution but how :))

If you really need a professional solution, you will need to license ESXi for Virtual Infrastructure and then use VCB, I believe.

While I was first successfully in getting the TSM client installed on ESXi I found out only a little bit later that it does not function. When trying to backup it dies with an error message. Apparently it is not able to determine the Linux mount points it needs for defining the file space names.

So TSM on ESXi directly is not an option anyway.

Kai-Uwe

Hi blackcat100, I have read your problems and felt that www.esxibackup.net would be best place to get better solution for you. I found it when I was also looking for a backup solution. Esxibackup.net provides affordable and effective solution for your problem. I was and really pleased with its solution and services. Hope this will help you too.

All the best!

Last edited:
Back