Error while backing the System States with TSM 6.1.0.2 - Win2k8 Domain Controler

THE_WIPET

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi all

We have a domain controler running Win2k8 R2. I install TSM 6.1.0.2 To try the possibility to restore AD object.

When i start the backup i got an error message.

ANS4099E The system volume cannot be identified. Therefore the system state cannot be backed up.
ANS5283E The operation was unsuccessful.

Guest what.. If you try to look for the ANS4099E on google or the TSM 6.1 web site.. well you found nothing.. So before i open a PMR on this issue, I was asking if any one got the same problem?

Cheers

Huh, you're the first person I've met that actually backs up these things. You have no DCs running offsite? I would probably just back up the active directory to protect against corruption.

Yes of course we have DC running offsites.. We got 7 of them all replicated.. the whole shabang..

Why we want to try the AD object restore.. For the ocasional Windows admin "Oops i did it again" delete/move accounts.. if the option in TSM 6.1 is not worth it we wont use it.. it's in the software... so why not try it..

The error that we got.. we suspect maybe a VSS change from microsoft.. cause.. we have other issues with Win2k8 R2 and VSS with other osftware.. ( VMWare P2V for exemple)

What? Something flaky with Windoze? No! :eek:

Certainly sounds like a VSS issue to me. I take it you're using the DOMAIN option to exclude everything but the system state (?).

Nope juste using a regular dsm.opt file with standard inclusion/exlusion

Will give it a try.. but i'll doubt it will work!.

just by selecting the systeme state from the GUI and try a backup.. you get the error.

*fcuk* ;-)

would you please post the (server/client)error.log for additional errors?

09/02/2009 09:35:47 ANS4099E The system volume cannot be identified. Therefore the system state cannot be backed up.
09/02/2009 09:35:47 ANS5283E The operation was unsuccessful.

This is the only error that I found. dsmerror.log client and server/event viewer.. etc..

i'm not even trying to restore..
I got the error message right a the start of the backup... I cant event try to do the restore if I dont have a succesfull System state backup.

Maybe i didnt explain it clearly a the start of the tread..

The error message is when I try to do a backup of the system States..

System Reserved partition

My W2K8 R2 has an active partition called "System Reserved" created by default
by the installationprogram.

Maybe the Tivoli-client thinks that this partition
contains the Systemstate and failes because it can't read it?

I get the same error.

Last edited:
Rydqvist: thanks for the info... Since R2 will be GA in october.. cant realy open a PMR with IBM..

Will wait for new version of de BA clients..

We have experienced the same issue. Our current workaround is to let the TSM job fail for the system state error, and then let the built in Windows Server Backup program backup the system state separately. But it seems like there is a disconnect between what IBM thinks the system state name should be, and what it actually is now in W2k8R2...

same error.:mad:

Now I do systemstate backup with wbadmin and after that do TSM backup.
I exclude system state in dsm.opt file and backup then works.:)

You get the same problem with Windows 7 as well. Apart from the fact that dsm.exe doesn't work properly in Server 2008 R2 or Windows 7, but dsmmfc.exe seems to work OK.

I hope that IBM are planning on fixing their BA client before long as both Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 are out (officially) shortly.

any resolution to ANS4099E

We're just getting started with 2008 R2 servers, the two we have deployed both have this issue. Has anyone found a resolution?

Thanks!
Deb

On the TSM BA GUI shortcut, right click > Properties, select The Compatibility Tab, Press the "Change settings for all users" button and check "Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows Server 2008 (Service Pack 1)."

After that, go to C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\BAClient right click dsmcsvc.exe > Properties, Select The Compatibility Tab Press the "Change settings for all users" button, check "Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows Server 2008 (Service Pack 1)." Do the same for dsm.exe.

This was done on TSM 5.5.2.2.

Last edited:
SleeperGTP,

I just downgraded the TSM client to 5.5.2 in order to try you solution, with no success.
Using command line, I got "SystemState Backup finished with failures.", and following entries in dsmerror.log :

10/20/2009 15:03:32 Boot path was not found. Assumed boot path as C:\
10/20/2009 15:03:49 Boot path was not found. Assumed boot path as C:\
10/20/2009 15:03:49 Boot path was not found. Assumed boot path as C:\
10/20/2009 15:04:01 fsCheckAdd: unable to update filespace on server
10/20/2009 15:04:01 ANS5250E An unexpected error was encountered.
TSM function name : vssInitBackupSpec
TSM function : fsPrepareFilespace() returned '121'
TSM return code : 121
TSM file : vssback.cpp (1591)
10/20/2009 15:04:01 Return code 121 unknown
10/20/2009 15:04:02 Return code 121 unknown

However this is a virtual machine (VmWare), and this may cause further problems ...

Cheers.

Arnaud

Back