Error ANR8420E DEFINE PATH with TSM 5.x for Linux

cocodeja

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi.
i tried to install TSM 5.x in Suse Linux Enterprise. I want to use
a SCSI Sony DDS4 Tape Device (SDT-11000/R).

The installation es OK, but when I tried to execute
DEFINE PATH
command, I get always the same error

ANR8420E DEFINE PATH: An I/O error occured while accessing drive DRV0

After start the dsm server, y executed

define lbrary 4mm libtype=manual
define drive 4mm drv0 serial=autodetect
define path server1 drv0 srctype=server desttype=drive library=4mm device=/dev/tsmscsi/mt0

When (previosuly) executed ./tsmscsi, everything is fine, the special name /dev/tsmscsi/mt0 was created, but the mttest command not work OK.

Y tried with TSM 5.3, 5.4 and 5.5 and always get the same error.
I try with Suse Enterprise 9 with different kernel levels, and after that, I tried with Suse Enterprise Server 10 too.

First, I foud articles talking about scsi card, and commands not supported. I change my adaptec 2940 UW for another cards, and the situation was the same.

Finally I install Windows 2000, and tried the same installation (adaptec 2940UW and SONY Tape), without problems.

But I need the installation with Linux.

In IBM TSM pages, the SONY DDS Tape is supported, the firmware level is OK. From linux, tar commands executes OK with /dev/st0.

Perhaps someone can help me with this.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

try to use "autoconf" instead of "tsmscsi"
The tsmscsi command will only configure the devices in mt.conf and lb.conf files. However, mt.conf and lb.conf must have the correct information for the library and drives.
autoconf tries to query every sg device

As TSM uses native sg driver (was using binary driver in 5.2 times) you do not need to play with kernel levels anymore - that is not the problem.

Harry

Back