Encryption Support

greyhound

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
How can I confirm if a certain model tape drive can support TSM 5.5 Encryption?

Is it safe to assume if it is on the supported library list that it can preform encryption?

Drive in question is a Quantum SDLT 600

How can I confirm if a certain model tape drive can support TSM 5.5 Encryption?

Is it safe to assume if it is on the supported library list that it can preform encryption?

Drive in question is a Quantum SDLT 600

Nope. Supported drives and drives supporting encryption are two different things. If it is supported, it doesn't necessarily mean encryption is supported or available.

As far as I remember, the Quantum SDLT 600 is not enabled for encryption but I may be wrong.

Last edited:
Are there any resources I could check? Or a call to IBM is in order?

Encrypt

You should contact the drive vendor for info on "hardware level" encryption, but TSM does offer software level encryption also. TSM supports AES128 at a software level.

Hi,

Please give ur's valuable output for the below questions

is it possible that the backup of these databases, applications, etc, can be encrypted?

Thanks in advance

Software encryption

I know that v5.3 and above support all api's (TDP for exchange, SQL, etc), and baclient level software encryption. There is plenty of documentation on publib.ibm.com, IBM support. There are even more options for software encryption, like automatic password generation in v5.4 and above; the documentation is pretty good and support knows it well.

If you need any specifics PM me and I can help direct your further.

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.Could you please provide me the Link or Guide for all api's (TDP for exchange, SQL, etc), and baclient level software encryption.

Thank you

Back