dual gripper

kihwan

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hello,

Our 3494 Tape Library has dual gripper and we want to make use of it.

But under 'Mode' menu in Library Manager console,

'Accessor' menu item is not highlighted, so I can not activate 'enable dual gripper accessors...' item.

I wonder how I can enable 'Accessor' item under 'Mode' menu.

Does anyone have any idea about this? Thanks in advance. :grin:

With a 3494 there are dual accessors and there are dual grippers. Dual accessors is only used when you have the HA model and there is a second robot(accessor) Dual grippers is when the robot has 2 slots on it to pick up and move tapes. A system with dual grippers will automaticly use it when it can (assuming the CE enabled the dual gripper option) I have had a 3494 with dual grippers for over 2 years and have seen it use the second gripper only a few times. Best way to see it in action is to clean all the drives at the same time :grin:

-Aaron

Thank you for your answer.

I did not notice the difference between dual accessors and dual grippers before.

Let me ask you one more question:

What do you mean by "CE enabled the dual gripper option"?

How can I enable it? :sad:

Thanks.

When the library was installed by the IBM CE, they should have enabled the dual gripper.

To enable the dual gripper option, enter the 3494 into service mode. Once in service mode, there should be an availablity option. It is enabled in that menu. If the dual gripper was installed as either an MES or as part of the original install, more then likely, it's already enabled.

Most of the newer 3494s have a webserver built into the library controller. Just open a web browser and point it at the IP address of the OS/2 box in the 3494. This has some wonderful stats including component availability (including both grippers)

-Aaron

Back