dsmserv command after upgrade

spiffy

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I am doing tsm 5.3.2.0 to 5.4.2 upgrade next week. Today i installed fixpack 5.3.2 on my tsm servers just to get a feel for the general installation procedure, it went smoothly.

anyway, I have 2 TSM servers
TSMSERVER1 - log and DB files reside on SAN disk F:
TSMSERVER2 - log and DB files reside on SAN disk G:

TSMSERVER1 can run TSMSERVER 2 instance, only when SAN disk G: is present on TSMSERVER1
TSMSERVER2 can run TSMSERVER1 instance, only when SAN disk F: is present on TSMSERVER2

Today after the install, on TSMSERVER2(log and DB files on G:drive), I tried running TSM in the foreground using DSMSERV and it attempted to run in the foreground, but then i got a bunch of errors saying it was unable to open volumes on the F: drive, which belong to TSMSERVER1.

So how do i tell it to only run TSMSERVER2 instance? The F drive was not even present on TSMSERVER2, and i do not know why it wanted to start TSMSERVER1 instance instead of TSMSERVER2 instance.

I assume when i issue DSMSERV in the foreground, i have to add something to it to specify that I want TSMSERVER2 instance to start and not TSMSERVER1, like the path to dsmserv.opt for TSMSERVER2?

hope i have not confused anyone here

Thanks
James

try dsmserv /?

Absent any options, it'll look in a default registry key, I think. But you can specify any server you like, as defined in a dsmserv.opt.

You have to specify which dsmserv.opt file you want to read/use. By default it reads the one in the current directory and if there isn't one there it'll read the one in the default installation directory.

-Aaron

so i would input like so

dsmserv -OPTFILE="d:\program files\tivoli\tsm\TSMSERVER2\dsmserv.opt"
this will start TSMSERVER2 up in the foreground on TSMSERVER2 box?

i will try looking it up when i get a chance, i was just looking for a quick answer

thanks
James

dsmserv -o d:\progra~1\tivoli\tsm\tsmser~1\dsmserv.opt

thanks all

Last edited:
Back