DSMFMT Shortcuts

n9kws

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi All -- As many of you know, the DSMFMT command takes a long time to run in the creation of an individual DB, LOG, DISK file. However, I have the following question: After I create the first file of a specific type, can I copy it to new filenames as many times as needed to get the total amount of storage I need (assuming that all the files are of the same size)???

Will this work, and does anybody have any other ideas for speeding up the DR effort on a Linux based TSM server (my understanding is that raw volumes are not supported on the linux version of the TSM server)???

I look forward to reading your comments,

Andy.

Technically yes you can. I assume this is a Windows install? If so then DSMFMT is the only option, but on UNIX I would suggest using RAW LV's take a few seconds to create and is REALLY nice and fast when doing DR testing.

Hi Chad -- Thanks for the reply but this is a Linux build and i am under the impression that a SLES Linux server cannot use raw partitions for the DB & log. If this the case, or not???? :confused:

Ok, the summary of the offline conversation with Chad is that copying the file to differant names will work, and raw volumes are not supported in SLES Linux TSM server. :evil:

Back