DSMADMC from my workstation

jmcallis

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I want to run the administrative command line from my Vista workstation to work on the TSM servers in our environment. We have 3 in different locations and they are separate from each other.

Currently Im doing this by using bat files to swith dsm.opt files on my local machine to point to different TSM Servers. I am logging on as one of my server nodes for that location. I doubt this is the recommended approach.

How are others doing it? I'd like to bring up a command line for any given server and not actually be logging on as an existing node.

Is there any easier way?? am I missing something?

In the dsm.opt all you need is the TCPSERVERADDRESS line.

When you launch the .bat file it should ask you for a TSM User name and password...just enter your TSM Admin credentials.

In the dsm.opt all you need is the TCPSERVERADDRESS line.

When you launch the .bat file it should ask you for a TSM User name and password...just enter your TSM Admin credentials.

Great but how do I specify the different servers from my workstation? Do I need to have 3 different dsm.opt files each pointing to a particular tsm server? They through the use of a bat file I swap the correct one in? Is this how others are doing it?

you can always use in your .bat:
dsmadmc -tcps=xx.xx.xx.xx (-id=user -pass=password)

create a dsm.opt for each server and then create a shortcut on your vista desktop with this commande line.

"C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient\dsmadmc.exe" -optfile="C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient\dsm_*****.opt" -id=***** -pass=*****

You don't need multiple DSM.OPT files. You are just managing so you can use a shortcut on the desktop that calls

dsmadmc -tcpserver=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

with your other options.

Look, one dsm.opt file is one way, another is create separate dsm.opt files. I use the separate method and create separate batch files that call dsmadmc depending on what I'm doing.

I have three servers, so each has its own dsm.opt.

So, the following made it easy for me:

Put something like the following in a batch file
echo off
set DSM_CONFIG=c:\Progra~1\Tivoli\TSM\config\dsm.opt
c:
cd \Progra~1\Tivoli\TSM\baclient
dsmadmc
exit

Then create a shortcut on your desktop for each batch file.

This will keep you from going crazy.
Make sure you define a different dsmerror, dsmsched, etc. log file for each site to keep your errors separated, in case you have any.

I have 6 shortcuts, 2 for each server, 1 is for the command line, the other runs "-consolemode" so I can watch what is going on.

Back