DRM with "Onsite" Copypool

mfischer

Newcomer
Reaction score
hy all!
i have a TSM 5.3.4 server (soon updating to 5.4) on windows 2003.
i have a very huge diskpool (san) that contains all backup data. in another building i have a ibm ts3500 (3584) tapelibrary (connected with fc) that contains the copypool and the db-backups.
this 2nd location is our dr-site and we dont vault any media out of the library.
although this library is in another building it is technically "onsite" for tsm...

now i played around with DRM, but i think, this feature is only cool with "offsite" copy pools.
what do you think is the best procedure for a dr of the tsm server in my case?

You can still use DRM to create a dr plan file, which will contain your device classes, volhist etc. So it can help you to restore the server at the other end. But in your situation there is no need to do any of the move drm type commands or anything like that, this is fine.

If you are comfortable with restoring the TSM database from the offsite tape library without using DRM, and you keep a daily copy of your volhist etc at the other site as well there isn't a great advantage for you to use DRM. Go with whatever makes you feel the most comfortable.

Just make sure you test whichever way you choose :)

Back