DRM Restore HELP!

Ray

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

The tivoli server dies this morning and I need to do a DRm to a new server but the only viles I have are the devcnfg and dsmserv.dsk dsmserv.opt and volhist.

The prepare files were on the server which are now lost!!

How can I do a DRM with out theplanexpl.vbs files?? Any help is much appreciated

Thanks

Ray

Hi,

if you have the "magic4" and DB backup then it should be no problem

Which platform you have? Win? AIX? other?

Basicaly create a new TSM instance on the new server, define DB and RLog space for DB restore, then restore the DB and see what is not working ... (do you have any data on diskpools? are the disks OK?, how about your devices/libraries)

If you need help, look for admin guide and/or contact me via private messaging

Hope it helps

Harry

Ray,

Assuming you have an AIX box with no mksysb (otherwise just restore from mksysb if your TSM binaries and configs were part of the mksysb):

1. Find the tape drives on your new box - lsdev -Cc tape and note the rmt number of each tape

2. Install the TSM server application

3. put the devconfig,volhist, dsmserv.opt and dsmserv.dsk from the old box to the new

4. edit devconfig

- add line DEFINE DEVCLASS tape library=manlib devtype=3590 (or what your environment is)

- add line DEFINE LIBRARY manlib libtype=manual

- DEFINE DRIVE manlib tape1 device=/dev/rmt1 (rmt1 is from lsdev above)

5. create database and logs files

dsmfmt -g -db /tsmdb/vol1 16

dsmfmt -g -db /tsmdb/vol2 16

(repeat until you create enough DB space, count number of DB files)

- create a list of each db file - db.listfor use with dsmserv format command

dsmfmt -g -log /tsmlog/logvol1 2

( start with a small log file just to get up and running)

6. initialize db and log files

dsmserv format 2 /tsmlog/logvol1 4 file:db.list

7. restore your original db

dsmserv restore db devclass=tape vol=<tape_ID_number> commit=yes

8. If there is a problem with not finding a config file or path, make sure you are in the directory where the dsmserv.dsk is created when you execute these commands. I forget the specific error message, but it is something like ... file not found.....

Good luck

neil

Ray,

I NEVER use the Plan file! Not that I am suggesting you do not need it, but because of my use of RAW Logical Volumes for my DB, Logs, and Storage Pools I cannot use the tool to rebuild the server. So I created a script to make all my LV's and then I restore the DB. This is actually faster and really all you need are the files you listed.

Well I'm useing Windows but how can I restore the database and log files with out the files then??? The disk shelf has also died!

Not been a good few days...

Hi,

have you got DB backup? On disk? On tape? Look in volhist out file (look for DBSNAPSHOT, BACKUPFULL and BACKUPINCR volumes). If you did not backup your DB and your disks with it died then you are lost ...

If you have the DB backup, then the TSM server can be restored (even if you do not have DRM plan)

If you still need more help, contact me at

[email protected]

Hope it helps

Harry

Well, obviously you need to recreate the files. If the disk is bad then you could restore on another machine. Recreating disk volumes is a breaze, and you don't need the DRM Plan file to make them.

dsmserv format 1 d:tsmlogslog01.dsm 2049 2 d:tsmdbdb01.dsm 5121 d:tsmdbdb02.dsm 5121

My syntax could be wrong but I think I got it. I rarely setup Windows TSM servers anymore. Also the Windows TSM Wizard can walk you through the creation of the volumes also...although last I used it, it was more of a pain.

Ok update and new problem,

I've been speaking to Harry who has been very helpful and told me another way to restore it which I will try, but in the mean time I have managed to find all the files for the restore by the script. If I can get it working it should be a lot easier as every thing will go back as normall.

When I start the script it writes the log and DB space fine byt it then errors when trying to contact the library for the tape. In the screen it says entering exception handle and then exit exception handle!!

I have checked all the SCUSI ID's in the config files and they are right to what windows see it as. When I do the initial configuration on tivoli and then look at the devices it see's the library and the drives ok and the same ID's.

Does anyone know to why the script can't see the library to restore the DB?

Once again thanks for all your help it is appreciated!

Ray

ray,

the following procedure worked out fine for me:

install OS and TSM server on the new machine

run the “initial configuration” wizard to configure tsm

define dbvol and logvol with at least the amount of space it had on the old server

halt the tsm server

copy the old server’s devconfig.out file and modify accordingly to the new server

"dsmserv restore db todate=today totime=now"

start the new server

redefine library, drives and paths

update device class to the new library (as harry suggested to me)

at this point all the stuff that was on tapes should be available

all the stuff you had on disk pools is dead along with the disk

hope it will work out for you

:p good luck

max

Hi All,

Right firstly thankyou to everyone on here who has helped me with this especially Harry!

The server is now back after useing the files to do the drm and I can now restore files ok. I can't back anything up via teh scedule as there server is in a semi up state as the service is not running for the server.

Do I just close down the tiv window and then start the tivoli service and then it should come up? or do I need to do anything else to get the server running fully?

Once again thanks for all your help

Ray

Hi,

glad you got it working

I assume now you have restored the DB and the server is now running as an application (on the foreground) - DO NOT JUST CLOSE THE WINDOW!!! (you can damage your DB with unclean shutdown) - use "HALT" command and then start TSM as a service

Hope it helps

Harry

Superb! All up and running like the good old days!! :lol:

Thankyou!!!

Sorry to be a pain! when I do a q drm all my library tapes are set to mountable, but none of my vault tapes are there? why is this?

Why does it not know that the tapes are in teh vault, I edited the files before the restore and dleted the files out that it thought was destroyed?

Hi,

when the server is up, the volhistory file is not important - everything is taken from the DB. The files are needed for DB restore only ...

So you do not see the vault tapes in "q drm"? what about "q vol <volume_name> f=d" used on volume you KNOW should be in vault?

Were the volumes in the vault state in the point of DB backup?

Hope it helps

Harry

The tapes that say mountable were the tapes in the vault so I have gone through them and changed the location to offsite which seems ok now.

I now can't add licenses to the server. The server says no licences installed so when I try to change the license info it errors saying "License registration is not supported on this server"

I think I remeber some thing about this before but can't remeber how to rectify it! anyone know??

Hi,

where you get the TSM code? If you downloaded it from IBM anonymous FTP, then it has not the license part - you have to install from original CDs or download the code from Passport Advantage site

Hope it helps

Harry

The CD's we have don't ask for codes, it just installs it!

Looking through the logs it thinks its an eval but we have brought the proper stuff from IBM honest!!!

Does anyone have a work round for this? I can back anything up and I think its because its in evalutation mode and will only let you backup about 10mb!

Last time honest :)

Hi,

have to re-consider my English as people do not understand me :)

by TSM code I mean TSM program - not a licence number (as there is none).

To get the right binaries (the same word for code and program :) ) you have to a) find the right CDs OR b) download the package from the http://www-306.ibm.com/software/howtobuy/passportadvantage/

(if you have Passport Advantage contract)

If you cannot find the CDs AND do not have PA account, contact your local IBM

Hope it helps

Harry

Not to worry, I managed to get the old license file from the dead disk and copy that on and it all works ok now!

Thanks

Back