DRM Operation

DiegoP

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hello, my name is Diego and I have a question about the use of DRMBACKUPEXPIREDAYS parameter.
I use TSM 7.1.1 and DRM.
I run every day a copy of backup DATABASE FULL on tape and keep the tape onsite.
I set the REUSE parameter equal to 3 and also the DB is maintained for 3 days.
I need not to move the tape OFFSITE every day but about once a week. For this reason many tapes which contain BACKUP DB FULL go to state VAULT and expire immediately and immediately return to ONSITE
The question is:
Can I use the "DELVOLH TYPE=DBB" for delete "DATABASE BACKUP FULL" that remain always onsite and the parameter "DRMBACKUPEXPIREDAYS" for delete the "BACKUP DATABASE SNAPSHOT" that I create and move OFFSITE ?.
In the manuals IBM it would seem that if you use "DRMBACKUPEXPIREDAYS" I can not use the "DELVOLH".
For my needs I would like to use "DB BACKUP FULL" for ONSITE and "DB BACKUP SNAPSHOT" for OFFSITE and check the expiration by "DELVOLH" for "DB FULL" and "DRMBACKUPEXPIREDAYS" for "DB SNAPSHOT"

Thanks for your help
Diego P.

The use of DRM supersedes the use of DEL VOLHIST - do not use DEL VOLHIST while DRM is active as this will result in 'lost' tapes and the system will be not be able to track the tapes properly.

More so, I question the logic of keeping tapes onsite. There is a good reason why you should move DRM tapes to offsite immediately after generation: to protect you from real DR.

If you move tapes offsite once generated, you will see smoother flow of recalled tapes.

Last edited:
Back