"domain /var /home /etc" option in dsm.sys, ESX3 and TSM5.3

antepante

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
http
Hi all,

I want to a simple backup of a ESX3.01 server it self. I just want to backup /etc /home and /var. All this is placed on the same partition.

When I put "domain /etc /var /home" in dsm.sys i get "ANS1071E Invalid domain name entered: '/var'" for every entry when I do a inc command in dsmc.

If I use "domain all-local" everything works fine. How do I just include these directories in dsm.sys?

You mentioned that all of /etc /var /home are placed on the same partition. By saying this, are you referring that these folders are on one mount point only - all under / (root)?

To effectively backup only the ones you mentioned, enter this in dsm.opt NOT dsm.sys:

Backup "/var"
Backup "/etc"
Backup "/home/.../"

First, what options should be in dsm.sys and what goes to dsm.opt? If I read the documentation the domain option is valid in dsm.sys and dsm.opt. Right now I use dsm.opt as you suggested.

Secound, I get this error when I use the backup option:
ANS1036S Invalid option 'BACKUP' found in options file '/opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsm.opt'
at line number : 16
Invalid entry : 'Backup "/var"'

I have tried without quotation marks around /var, got the same error. My goal is to limit TMS client to just backup these three directories. And I don't what to use domain all-local and exclude.dir. It must be a way to do this... or? Otherwise TSM will scan all files/dir and the compare them to the exclude list, that will use I/O from the ESX guests.

The domain option (in dsm.opt) seems only to work with mount points.
"domain / /var/log" works. But when I put /etc I got the error. How to I get around this?

Hi,

it can be in the dsm.sys and I would look for "virtualmountpoint" option, if you only want to backup that three directories ....

Hope it helps

Harry

You are correct, the domain option can only be used for real filesystems.

Use include/exclude options to narrow things down from there, or use virtualmountpoint like Harry suggested.

The domain option (in dsm.opt) seems only to work with mount points.
"domain / /var/log" works. But when I put /etc I got the error. How to I get around this?

Sorry for the misleading post: I rechecked what I had and the location of the Include statement - and not backup - is in dsm.sys as below:

SErvername TSMServer1
COMMMethod TCPip
TCPPort 1500
TCPServeraddress 192.168.31.202
NOdename dir00
Exclude "/opt/tivoli/tsm/log/dsmsched.log"
COMMRESTARTDURATION 15
ERRORLOGRETENTION 5 D
MAXCMDRETRIES 6
RETRYPERIOD 10
SCHEDLOGNAME "/opt/tivoli/tsm/log/dsmsched.log"
ERRORLOGNAME "/opt/tivoli/tsm/log/dsmerror.log"
SCHEDLOGRETENTION 5 D
SCHEDMODE PROMPTED
PASSWORDACCESS GENERATE
INCLUDE /home
INCLUDE /var
INCLUDE /etc

This works for me.

Doesn't there need to be an exclude /.../* above those includes so only /home /var and /etc are backed up?

Backup /vmfs/.../*.vmx

Hi,

domain all-local and include filter works now. But I can't backup *.vmx files under /vmfs. Can't TSM backup files under /vmfs???

Have you simply tried using:
dsmc i /var/"*" /etc/"*" /home/"*" on the command line? THis way you don't need to set the domain specifically for this?\.

Back