Does TDP for Oracle Backup Everything You Need

influx

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Bear with me. Not a DBA. I noticed that my TDP for Oracle clients were not only sending data to the node using the API, but also using the BAclient to send Oraccle related logs to the same node. (see names from backup table)
HL_NAME: /data/oracle/*/backup/logs/
LL_NAME: backup_xxxxxxx.120817
Of course, the data sent via the BAclient is never going to expire based on the TDP for Oracle management class settings. I'm unable to get a clear answer from DBA's as to why they do this.
QUESTION: Is there any reason that an Oracle DBA can not rely solely on the API to backup all things related to the Oracle database?
I'm not looking for a work around, I know a handful of ways to remediate. I'm looking for a specific answer to the question asked... and then pros and cons if any.

Thanks!

TDP for Oracle is a licensed product.
Making an Oracle backup to disk and let the simple ba client send the data to TSM saves some money.

I prefer the TDP since then the logs are immediately sent to TSM, which makes near zero dataloss recovery possible

TDP for Oracle is a licensed product.
Making an Oracle backup to disk and let the simple ba client send the data to TSM saves some money.

I prefer the TDP since then the logs are immediately sent to TSM, which makes near zero dataloss recovery possible

What is the point of using BA client for the logs since TDP for Oracle is already licensed as pointed out: "I noticed that my TDP for Oracle clients were not only sending data..."

The only reason I could think of doing this is to speed things up and/or have a different retention policy in place.

I think you are saying that the BA and TDP clients have the same nodename? They should be using a different nodenames. Then you can manage the BA client backups normally.

To answer the other question, the TDP client will backup the database, but the RDBMS and any other files will need to be backed up separately. It's possible that your DBAs are trying to do a "belt-and-suspenders" approach, although that really doesn't make any sense.

Back