Does 3584 automatically slot cartriges from I/O door ?

ThanhNguyen

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Thanks in advance for your help.

We are currently use the 3584 LTO to backup our AS/400 computers. And 3494 ATL to backup the W2K and AIX servers. The problem we are having today is the 3584 LTO does NOT automatically bring the cartridges from the I/O door to the slot. Every day, after loading the cartridges that come back from offsite location (these are DR tapes) into the door, we have to use the LTO WEB interface to physically move each cartridge from the I/O door to the "first available slot" in the 3584-L32 or D32 rack. This is the time consuming manual process. We want to upgrade our 3494 to the 3584 but with this problem we may not be able to do so.

Anybody has the solution for this problem ?

Does anyone experience the same problem when using 3584 in TSM/NT/AIX environment ?

Many thanks.

We use a partitioned 3584 for TSM AND AS/400 tapes and have no problems getting tapes in/out of the libary. You say you are only using the 3584 for AS/400 tapes at present - what is failing? How are you trying to move the tapes?

Thanh,

I adminstrate 2 3584 LTO1 librarys partitioned 4 ways each. What you are saying is true, when using a 3584 /w an AS/400, the tapes WILL NOT be automatically slotted, nor will they be slotted if you were to use TSM. 3494 autoslots , 3584 does not.

It is not a bug or failure, it is working as designed, If you want to know why the library behaves this way I would contact IBM im sure they have a very good reason for it.

My educated(or uneducated as the case may be) guess, is that the 3584 is controlled by SCSI bus, rather than by a LMCP, it still has the OS/2 box running its inventory, but it doesnt have that box as the external interface for its hosts. That being the case, it relies on the hosts to initiate slotting procedures. Since your 3494 does all the partitioning and such behind the covers, it is smart enough to slot its own tapes and manage the hosts requests for initialization/movement.

Thanks!

Brandon

Hi every,

to resolve this, set in operator panel for 3584, the option INSERT NOTIFICATION to "disable".

So, TSM will able to label volumes from BULK.

When the Insert Notification setting is enabled, unassigned cartridges are inaccessible to any logical library, but user interfaces are still able to move cartridges to logical libraries and make them accessible to the host.

See 18P9792.pdf redbook, option INSERT NOTIFICATION.

thanks,

Back