Documentation on vStorage and TSM

romain0412

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi,

I've installed TSM 6.2 and I want to backup some VM. I want to know if it exist some documentation or How To, in order to install and use this features ! :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Thanks for the document.

I've backup a VM with the GUI, the restore was completed, but I don't know where the snapshot is !

My goal, it's to backup the VM directly on my Datastore, without a copy on my TSM Server and after an another copy on the Datastore. I don't really find how to do this...

Thanks,

Thanks for the document.

I've backup a VM with the GUI, the restore was completed, but I don't know where the snapshot is !

My goal, it's to backup the VM directly on my Datastore, without a copy on my TSM Server and after an another copy on the Datastore. I don't really find how to do this...

Thanks,

If you performed a backup thru the TSM GUI, then the backup was sent to the TSM Server. If you want to create a snapshot, but not send anything to TSM, then you do this thru the VI client by taking a snapshot of the VM.

Hi,

TSM 6.2 can backup with vstorage, normally the backup are directly stored on DataStore.
Isn't it?

Thanks for your help,

TSM 6.2 can backup with vstorage, normally the backup are directly stored on DataStore.
Isn't it?

As Robert indicated, if you backup using the TSM 6.2.x client the backups are stored in TSM -- not on the datastore of the virtual machine that you backed up. From the TSM backup proxy node you can either backup an entire machine (vmbackuptype=fullvm) or you can backup individual files (vmbackuptype=file). The whole point behind TSM is to get your backup off of the datastore so that you can restore from TSM in the event of a disaster or other issue requiring a restore. FULLVM and FILE backups are stored in different locations in TSM. Your FULLVM backups are stored under the TSM proxy node. FILE backups are stored under each guest node name. To browse the FULLVM backups simply open the GUI client on the proxy and select the RESTORE VM menu option. You'll then see a list of nodes that you have backed up to TSM. FILE backups will require you to access the node name of the virtual machine before you'll see the files that were backed up.

Last edited:
Back