Different retention policy on different media

qdtgema

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hello

I have a configuration problem.

Today we have a browsing and retention policy of 4 weeks on the client.

First we do backup to disk and every day the 7th day is staged to tape to make room for a new backup, works perfectly.

Now, we want to have all data on tape, not just the last 3 weeks, and therefore need to do a cloning. It also works fine, but to avoid making a stage to another tape to erase the data when it becomes 1 week old, how do we accomplish this?

For short, how to setup:
Client total retention policy 4 weeks, first week both on disk and tape, remaining time only on tape.

Regards,
Erik

For the clones, use a separate pool. Since NW 7.3? you can actually apply a separate retention policy to a pool. This should do

It might work, but then there will be problem with the browse time instead.

Ideally I would like to have it specified,
-Disk 1 week retention
-Tape 4 week's retention (clone)
it would work to set times according to that.

But,
I also want to keep the browse time to 4 weeks which is simplest set on the client and in that case I must also set retention time to 4 weeks (at least) which will be inherited down to the disk.

If the browse time is set to 1 week, it can function as above but then the browse time has to be changed via script instead.

For now I change the retention time on disk after the cloning is done.

I don't know how to set this automatically via the GUI; I cannot find a way without scripting..!

Last edited:
Correct - you can not set individual browse times for a save set. So if you want to have that for 4 weeks, then you have to specify it for 4 weeks. And as you can not set the retention policy shorter than the browse policy, this is the limitation.

Thanks,
Then I know that I'm not missing anything in the GUI.

Btw,
Isn’t this a quite normal scenario, first backup to disk then a copy to tape for a longer period but all the time is the backup browseable? I could understand if it was archiving for several years maybe the browsing isn’t necessary, but now… :(

At least my script works as expected so I can live with this lack of configuration possibility :)

Last edited:
Back