Different Archive retention

Murkin

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hello,

I have a number of servers in a policy domain that require a weekly archive.

The problem is that I need to save weekly archives for a 3 months and monthly

archives for a year.

I am searching for a simple way to make it so that one of the weekly archives has

a different retention than the rest..

Does anyone have any ideas on how this can be done ?

Thank you

Okey,

I have an idea for the solution but still need a little input on the actual implementation.

I was thinking of having two Mgmt classes each pointing to a different Archive group with different retention.

Now, three times a month I would run a schedule which would perform an archive to the default mgmt class.

And once a month a schedule where I would specify in the OPTIONS field something like

.include * SECONDARY_MGMT

Any opinions on if I am doing something wrong here or this is an acceptable solution ?

Thanks in advance

That is similar to what we do. We have one class that is kept for 60 days and a second class that is kept for 180 days. Once a month we make a bakup to the 180 day class. We have not found a better solution.

Andy

This is pretty standard operations for most folks. remember to use the -archmc option, (not an include * mgmtclass option) you can send C:\*.* and d:\*.* to different mgmtclasses using includes (for both backup and archive operations) but you cant send C:\*.* to DIFFERENT mgmtclasses on different days (the files will simply rebind to the newest class).

Howerver for archives.............use the -archmc option, and it works.

Back